Global Mapper v25.0

LAS File "out of memory" when triangulating

miksmith
miksmith Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2007 in Technical Support
I get an "out of memory" error when triangulating a 90Mb LAS file for use in 3D view, both when I open the file and choose triangulate or when I try 3D grdding from the control panel. The file loads fine in "point cloud mode" and I notice the dialog says it might fail if it tries to triangulate!

Ive got 1.25Gb of RAM so not overly stingy!! What are the limits on file sizes??

cheers

mike

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    Mike,

What version of Global Mapper are you using? Prior to Global Mapper v9.01 a file that large would likely result in an out-of-memory error, but with v9.01 much larger files (i.e. over 10 million points) can now be successfully triangulated and gridded.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • miksmith
    miksmith Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2007
    Sorry, I should have said! v9.01 under XP. 90Mb LAS files arent big in terms of LIDAR data, but there are obviously ALOT of points!
  • miksmith
    edited December 2007
    Hi Mike

Ive double checked my LAS file and it has a tad under 5M points in it. The exact error message is

Error loading d:\eastleigh.las
    Not enough memory to allocate elevation grid.
    GenericASCIIOverlay.cpp - 2428

thanks

mike
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    Mike,

The problem is that your system is failing to allocate a large memory block to hold the generated elevation grid in memory. I have modified Global Mapper to save large generated elevation grids to a temporary disk file, which should fix your problem. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • miksmith
    edited December 2007
    Hi Mike

Many thanks for the legendary fast support!! This fix works fine and still remains pretty fast during the triangulation. No problems thus far :)

cheers

mike