Global Mapper v25.0

Problems with Points on Garmin GPS

alexh
alexh Global Mapper User
edited December 2007 in Technical Support
Hello,

I'm using the software to create a custom map for a Garmin GPS device. Everything has been working well thus far, but I'm finding that when I create points/areas, the type isn't being recognized by the Garmin device -- even the built in types that can't be modified/deleted. For example, when adding a Golf or Sand point/area, it always fails to display on the map. Likewise, the restaurants don't show up .... shopping is one of the few categories that actually shows up as a POI.

I see that its the Type attribute that sets the code.. but when i create a new point/area type in GlobalMapper, and set it to the correct code, it mistakenly interprets the label for the code value that I entered.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I wish to use these POI categories extensively.

Also -- how do I make the ground on the GPS always appear green? Or, how do I export arial shots or topographical data to the Garmin device. The only thing I seem to be able to export is the User Custom Vector data, and nothing else.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    What you need to do is add a MP_TYPE attribute to the default attribute list for the feature types that you are using on the * Styles tabs of the Configuration dialog. This allows you to precisely control what MP type code is used when you export features of that type to new MP files. I would suggest reading the great user-provided tutorial on generating Garmin format map files with Global Mapper and cGPSMapper at http://www.globalmapper.com/helpv9/cGPSMapper.pdf.

The Garmin GPS devices do not in general support the display of aerial imagery or raster maps. If you wanted your background to be green you would basically need to draw something like a giant park area covering your entire map.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com