make single image

codeguycodeguy Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited April 2010 in Technical Support
Hi all,

first off I am a programmer, not a mapper, so please forgive my noob'ness.

I have 5K .ecw files that I'd like to create a singe image from. The batch convert seems to do one-to-one, or one-to-many.

I did attempt to search the fourm, but all I could come up with was 'single'. I'm not sure what the term is I'm trying to do. Any pointers on if/how to do it, or urls I should read, or terms I might search for would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

-Andy

Comments

• Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited April 2010
    Hi Andy.

The first thing you want to do is use 'File/Open All Files in a Directory Tree...' to easily load the 5000 files.

Then you want to use 'File/Export Raster and Elevation Data' to create a single image. IIRC, the ECW export is limited to 500 MB of data or so, so JPEG2000 is the format you probably want to save to. Also, you need to have a registered copy in order to do exports.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    Actually there is no size limit on ECW files generated by Global Mapper, so you can use either ECW or JPEG2000 for any size of imagery.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    I also thought that I'd mention for such a large number of files you will probably want to use the File->Create New Map Catalog menu command to create a map catalog from all of your files, then export from that. Using a map catalog will make the management and export of such a large number of files to be more efficient.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • codeguycodeguy Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Thank you both, ran into a few problems, but its running.

1st, I could only add about 2K at a time using file->open, (also in the create map catalog, "add Files..." button).

2nd, of course, none of them had .prj files. So GM prompted me for each. I killed the task and copied a .prj file from the corresponding shape files to each and every file (thank god for zsh:
    for i in *.ecw; do cp temp.prj ${i%.ecw}.prj; done
    )

In the create map catalog, the "add directory" was much easier, and once I had .prj files for every .ecw, it pulled right in.

Did the export thing and its running. Thank you both.

-Andy