DBF loading problem

timhomantimhoman Global Mapper UserPosts: 49Trusted User
edited April 2010 in Technical Support
When loading a .dbf point file many of attribute values are converted to numbers.
I select the file to open, select the corresponding lat/lon fields, it loads. However, the data is mostly numeric.

Why?

Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    Tim,

When you load a DBF file Global Mapper pulls in the data exactly as it is stored in the DBF file. Can you perhaps provide an example where you are getting numbers for the values but expecting something different?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • timhomantimhoman Global Mapper User Posts: 49Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    Mike,

Sure, I have created some small sample files with 10 records each - one dbaseIII, the other dbaseIV format. (Sample_DBF.zip)

Lat/Lon are identified as LATDEC/LON_DEC.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    Tim,

I took a look and the data being displayed in Global Mapper is what is actually stored in the DBF file. For whatever reason your DBF file actually has the field data for some fields stored with a bunch of leading zeroes and then a number, so this is what Global Mapper is displaying for those fields. Global Mapper always displays the exact text stored in the DBF file as it doesn't support applying any field types or numbering to data from DBF files.

Do you know what application is creating these DBF files?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • timhomantimhoman Global Mapper User Posts: 49Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    Mike,

Thanks for your assistance....
    I believe I have identified the problem.

I was using MS Access to export the data into a .DBF file... forgetting that the memo fields are stored in an associated .DBT file. The fields that you see that contain the leading zeros, etc., are most likely the memo fields without the memo data filled in.

Ugh! - WYSInotWYG!