Extract height from elevation grid

kajsadakajsada Global Mapper UserPosts: 13
edited April 2010 in Technical Support
Hi!

I have a point data set, containing x,y,z information in every point. From this data set i have created an elevation grid in GlobalMapper. I also have a textfile containing 8 points with x and y position. What I would like to do now is extract the height value, in the x,y-coordinates of my 8 points, from the elevation grid. Is it possible to do so in GlobalMapper and if it is how can I do it?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Kajsa

Comments

• kajsadakajsada Global Mapper User Posts: 13
    edited March 2010
    Problem solved. Maybe there exist a more sophisticated solution but this one was good enough.
    I exported the elevation grid to a geotiff file and extracted the height value in each point from the rasterfile.

//Kajsa
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2010
    Kajsa,

Once you have your grid created, just load your other point features, then select them with the Digitizer Tool, right-click, then select the option to Apply Elevations from Terrain Layers to the points. This will add an ELEVATION attribute to each selected point from the underlying terrain.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kajsadakajsada Global Mapper User Posts: 13
    edited April 2010
    Thanks a lot!

Is it possible to apply elevation from a terrain model also to line features?

Best regards//Kajsa
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    Kajsa,

If you select an individual line feature with the Feature Info tool, then press the Vertices button, you can add/update elevation values from loaded terrain there. Another option is to export your line data to a format that supports 3D export, like Simple ASCII Text, and check the option to add elevation values.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com