Global Mapper Pro

dll file for export to Lowrance files

mlamadrid
mlamadrid Global Mapper User
edited April 2010 in Vector Data
Hi:

I would say I am very familiar with global mapper (GM), as I have been a user for several years, and with the process of exporting vector files to Lowrance, Garmin and other GPS units.

Since I got the global mapper 11 version, I have been using its export utility to create lcm files, but having a few problems to recognize POIs, lines and area types in the Lowrance unit.

My understanding is that this problems are related to the lcmBuilderDLL file that GM is using. I have done conversions with the yahoo group sw and there is a much larger number of types that are recognized at the Lowrance units.

At the same time I just bought a new laptop with windows 64 bits version where I have GM installed.

To be precise, when I export shape files to lcm I only get 6 POIS recognized at the lowrance unit (Airport, Bank, School, Post Office, Restaurant and Hospital).

How can I get more POIs recognized? The problem is related to windows 7 64 bits? To my lcmbuilderdll file?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2010
    There was actually a bug just discovered and fixed yesterday that prevented many point types from exporting properly to LCM files. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with this fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • skinnee
    skinnee Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    Mike,

I am having the same trouble as mlamadrid, when exporting my boat ramps to an lcm file, they dont appear in my lcm map. Using the yahoo group this is not an issue.

The version is 11.02, build time April 10th.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    In the LCM specification that we have there wasn't a specific type listed for boat ramps, so those types from Global Mapper weren't being exported. I have updated the LCM exporter to write them out as 'Marine (Other)' type points so they should now at least show up as something. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • skinnee
    edited April 2010
    I used boat ramp and that works ok for boat ramps, when add say campgrounds the boat ramp changes to another type and the campgrounds dont show up.

It would be good to have some functionality or reference for the lcm export so we know what works.

Thanks for any help Mike.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    You're right, that really should be documented better. I really didn't expect many people to use the LCM export when it was initially developed (kind of hoped Lowrance would go away and everyone would just use a Garmin!), so the documentation was poor. I have updated the documentation now to give you a better idea of what is available. If you visit http://www.globalmapper.com/helpv11/Help_MenuBarAndToolBar.html#file_menu_export_lowrance_lcm you can see the updated list of what types of features should be supported.

I have also made the campground type work properly on export so you should get a campground type on the unit when you use the built-in campground type. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • skinnee
    edited April 2010
    Same issue, when I load campgrounds, locks(navbouy) and boatramps, only the boat ramps export. It appears if I have more than one Point on the map it only converts and exports one.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    Can you provide me with the data that you are exporting and the LCM file that was created so that I can take a look and see what is happening?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • skinnee
    edited April 2010
    Can you provide me with the data that you are exporting and the LCM file that was created so that I can take a look and see what is happening?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Have sent you the data via email

Thanks

Anthony
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    Anthony,

What unit are you looking at the data on? I am using the LCX-104C emulator and can't get any data to show up from your files or ones that I am exporting. As far as I can tell the correct POI codes are being sent to the LCM creation DLL that we use, but I don't have any visibility as to what happens inside that library, and to make matters worse it is crashing on occasion for no apparent reason.

At what zoom level to the campground or boat ramp features show up for you?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • skinnee
    edited April 2010
    Anthony,

What unit are you looking at the data on? I am using the LCX-104C emulator and can't get any data to show up from your files or ones that I am exporting. As far as I can tell the correct POI codes are being sent to the LCM creation DLL that we use, but I don't have any visibility as to what happens inside that library, and to make matters worse it is crashing on occasion for no apparent reason.

At what zoom level to the campground or boat ramp features show up for you?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Hi Mike the Global Map 9200C, zoom level is around 2miles
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    Ok I got the Global Map 9200C simulator and played with your mapping data. It seems that boat ramps always display fine as do most other supported types, but no matter what I cannot get the campground type to display. If I change the campground points to another supported type, like Hospital, Airport, or a City type, then they show up fine with the boat ramps.

I then looked at the Map Categories menu on the unit simulator and could not find an entry for campgrounds anywhere. Is it possible that the 9300C simply doesn't support the display of campground points? Were you ever able to get campgrounds to display on that unit?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com