Is my processor supported by Globalmapper?

manumuskinmanumuskin Global Mapper UserPosts: 7
edited March 2010 in Technical Support
I am running windows vist 64 bit on an Intel core 2 quad processor Q6600.
I have 3 gigs of ram but want to max out at 8 gigs so I can handle really large aerial image files so i can make raster maps of them for my triton 500 gps.The problem is when i tried to download the 64 bit globalmapper Demo version it told me my processor was not supported so i had to download the 32 bit demo instead.now i was told all the Ram on 32 bit would not do me any good but since i had 64 bit maxing it out would give me a mean machine for what i wanted to do.My question is is this type of processor supported and if not even though I have 64 bit and 8 gigs of ram if working on the 32 bit version of globalmapper(if i should decide to buy it) would i still be able to handle the huge files necessary since i have a 64 bit computer and 8 gigs of ram but am using the 32 bit globalmapper version because i cannot use the 64 bit version because of processor issues???
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Al

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2010
    Al,

That processor should be supported just fine, I don't know why the 64-bit installer isn't working for you. Can you post a screenshot of the exact error that you are seeing when trying to install the 64-bit version?

In any case, the 32-bit version will be able to use up to 4GB of RAM on 64-bit Windows and shouldn't have any problems working with huge imagery sets, even multi-TB sets, as Global Mapper will typically read imagery from disk as needed rather than using excessive amounts of memory.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • manumuskinmanumuskin Global Mapper User Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    "This installation package is not supported by this processor type.contact your product vendor."

i don't know how to take a screen shot but that is it word for word.
    i intend to get 8 gigs of RAM<.will the 32 bit version of globalmapper work with that much ram?
    Al
    edited March 2010
    Al,

While the 32-bit version of Global Mapper will certainly run on a machine with 8GB of RAM, it will only be able to make use of 4GB of that RAM. However even with that you should be able to manage massive collections of imagery as Global Mapper doesn't load the imagery into memory, but gets it from disk as needed.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2010
    I think I will wait for Global mapper to become compatible with my processor if that ever happens because I already have 3 gogs of memory in now and can only handle files up to about 1.4 gigs in size.another gig will not make that much difference but another 5 gigs would but there is no point to buying the ram if the software will not work with the processor.the globalmapper 64 bit downloads but will not install.I've had this processor for over 2 years now so it is not a brand new processor.I can make maps now but no larger then about 3 miles square using 2007 0rthagraphy imagery from NJIN.with 8 gigs and 64 bit globalmapper I'm sure i could make much larger.I'll check back every so often and if the 64 bit download demo ever works I'll have a license in a heartbeat because the small maps i made with the 32 bit program were awesome.when i was running my registered Demo i didn't realize i was on 32 bit but later on went back to the site and tried to download the 64 bit and thats when i ran into problems.
    Al
  • vaxvax Global Mapper User Posts: 123Trusted User
    edited March 2010
    The installer could be damaged also, so you can try to re-download the GM package ...

Regards,
    vax
    edited March 2010
    Al,

Are you also certain that you have a 64-bit version of Windows? Many people have 64-bit processors but just 32-bit Windows. You have to have both 64-bit Windows and a 64-bit processor to install the 64-bit version of Global Mapper.

What format is the imagery that you are trying to load where you are running into memory problems now?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2010
    Globalmapper
    you are right,i just checked and my windows is only 32 bit while the processor is 64 bit.is it possible to upgrade windows to 64 bit?
    i am downloading orthagraphy 2007 imagery from here
    https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/IW.jsp?DLayer=NJ%202007%20Orthophotography#
    i can make a bmp up to about 1.3 gigs,any larger and i get a whiteout screen.that is only a map maybe 3 or 4 miles across at full resolution.
    Al
    edited March 2010
    Al,

I think you can upgrade to 64-bit, wouldn't see why not.

Are you downloading the data in BMP format? I would definitely recommend against that format, MrSID or JPEG2000 (which were options on the tile that I checked) are much better and should work just fine even in the 32-bit version regardless of size.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 454Trusted User
    edited March 2010
    I think you can upgrade to 64-bit, wouldn't see why not.

It's never possible to do an in-place upgrade from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows. (I don't take you as saying that it is possible Mike, just clarifying.)

It's always necessary to do a clean install, from scratch, because the 64-bit Windows installers don't run under 32-bit Windows.
    edited March 2010
    I have just been researching upgrading vista from 32 bit to 64 bit and I am thinking against it.it seems i may have all types of hardware issues if I do since new drivers need to be installed for any devices.I have two gps"s ,one garmin and one magellan along with ipods and and numerous software programs.I may get a lean ,mean fast machine and then not be able to even import anything into my gps"s.I will experiment with file sizes and see just how large i can go and then just limit my maps to that size.i have 4 gig sd cards for the gps and would like to get map almost that large.maybe with one more 1 gig stick of ram maybe that will help though i was told 3 gigs with 32 bit is about all it can handle???
    I am just a junior geek,much of this stuff is way over my head:-)
    Al
    edited March 2010
    Al,

For 32-bit Windows there really isn't much point in going beyond 3GB of RAM.

Note that the file size of an image doesn't necessarily indicate how much RAM it will take to load it, at least in Global Mapper. Also note that for most GPS devices it's not even possible to load images onto the device, only vector maps are supported. The exception is the newer Garmin Dakota, Oregon, and Colorado series devices. They support raster maps, although they can only handle a few MB of raster maps, not GB of them regardless of memory card size.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2010
    what you say about the clean install is true.i researched itin the help file.i just did a clean install due to a burnt out hard drive and am not up to another one.plus 64 bit driver would have to be installed on all my hardware if drivers in 64 bit even exist mainly for my gps's.i do not want to take a chance on losing my gps's./.
    what i did discover is my laptop has 64 bit windows and i assume a processor too since i don't think 64 bit windows would run on a 32 bit processor.the laptop has 2 gigs of ram but can be upgraded indefinitely.it has two slots so i may get 2 two gig sticks.four gigs of ram with 64 bit operating system hopefully should up my file size capability.
    would anyone have an idea what 4 gigs of ram and 64 bit file size limit would be for imagery?i have 4 gig cards for my GPS,would it be possible to open a image near that big?now when i try with 32 bit windows and 3 gigs of ram i can open a little over a gtig sometimes,sometimes less.
    Al
    edited March 2010
    i make rmp files out of images using "triton rmp". one gig files get me maybe a tenth the area of a topo map.was just trying to enable myself to make bigger maps so i don't have to make 200 maps to cover my home area of the pine barrens.thats a lot of calibrating and a lot of scrolling to find the correct map when I'm out.
    Al
    edited March 2010
    Al,

For working with a large number of imagery files I would suggest creating a map catalog to manage the image files using the File->Create New Map Catalog menu command. That map catalog can then manage your collection of files and load and unload them automatically as needed for display and export, thus drastically reducing your memory requirements.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com