Range Ring quirk in new legend

lgalbraithlgalbraith Global Mapper UserPosts: 20
edited April 2010 in Technical Support
First of all, thank you for creating legends in Global Mapper!!! I have run into one odd quirk with the legend so far. I have several point features that must have originally started as the centers of range rings, but have since been changed to a particular point feature type (by mass-changing for the entire layer though the control center). The problem is that the legend shows two labels for these points - one is the name of the point feature type that they all are and the other is "RANGE RING CENTER".

Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing? I've tried copying and pasting the points, but that doesn't work. I've tried clicking on points individually and copying one-by-one to make sure that I'm not highlighting more than one point at a time, but that doesn't work either. I ended up having to create new points on top of the old ones and that worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Lindsay

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2010
    Lindsay,

I have updated the range ring creation to use a new point type ('Range Ring Center'). Since that type now uses the default description, changing the type of those points will also change the description and make your legend update properly. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • lgalbraithlgalbraith Global Mapper User Posts: 20
    edited March 2010
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, the new build didn't exactly help. It works when creating new range ring centers (which I hadn't tried before), but it doesn't with previously-created range ring centers (which is the problem I'm running into). Is there a way to fix the problem with previously-created range ring centers without making new points? (I only need points, they don't need to be range ring centers.)

Thanks again,
    Lindsay
    edited March 2010
    Lindsay,

Can you perhaps post a workspace file that demonstrates the issue so that I can see exactly what you are seeing?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2010
    Hi Mike,

Sorry, I didn't realize I could upload anything or I would have done so earlier. Here is a screen print and a workspace file. (I don't know if all the layers will work but it wouldn't let me upload a package file.) The problem is easiest to see in the screen print - all of the red Xs (all in one layer) are set to a point feature called "Potential Turbine Locations" but the "Range Ring Center" also appears in the legend. I can't figure out why.

Thanks again,
    Lindsay
    edited March 2010
    Lindsay,

Thanks, I can see the problem now. Your point with a label of '4' has a description specifically set to 'RANGE RING CENTER', so that is still showing up. If you delete that point, then re-create it, the legend should update properly and remove that point. If it doesn't automatically update (just discovered and am fixing that issue), try reloading your workspace.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, Mike!
    edited April 2010
    Hi Mike,

I found another, similar quirk with the new legend and buffer areas. When you create a buffer area, the new buffer area shows up in the legend as the same feature type it was originally created from, even if you try to change the feature type afterwards. For example, if you have a line with a feature type "LINE TYPE" and you make a buffer around it, the new buffer area shows up as a "LINE TYPE" in the legend, even if you change the feature type to something else (e.g. "BUFFER AREA").

I've found a workaround in the meantime, but I figure this is probably something you want to take a look at.

Thanks!
    Lindsay
    edited April 2010
    Lindsay,

I have updated the buffer creation to not keep the description from the source feature, so it should now update when you change the type. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited April 2010
    That's perfect! Thanks again, Mike!