Global Mapper Pro

Sort Expodential Numbers

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2010 in Vector Data
Can I sort exponential areas of this form (3.00000000000e-003) using the Search Vector Data dialog? I'd like to sort low to high. My initial experiments indicated it's sorting on the number, not the exponent.

Any tips would be welcomed.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2010
    If you set your comparison type to 'Numeric' instead of 'Text' then the sort should be done numerically rather than alphabetically.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2010
    That's too easy. :o

Thanks Mike
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited March 2010
    If you set your comparison type to 'Numeric' instead of 'Text' then the sort should be done numerically rather than alphabetically.
    Clearly setting Numeric finds all the areas, but they are unsorted. What combination of operators will sort low-high or high-low?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2010
    You should just be able to click on the column header to sort low-high or high-low (just click repeatedly to change the sort order).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited March 2010
    Unfortunatly it's ignoring the exponent:
    Sees 9.90000000000e-002 > 9.83000000000e-001
    Is their a way to convert and sort?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2010
    I just tried this and it worked fine for me. I created 4 points with different values (including your test values) and searched on them, then clicked the VALUE column to sort. I tried sorting both low->high and high->low and in both cases the VALUE column was sorted correctly by numeric value (including using the exponents). Were you clicking on the column with your values in them and was a numeric search active?

I have attached a screenshot showing my results.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited March 2010
    One screenshot deserves another.

My sequence:
    • Search as text on Ftype = pla*
    • Set text to number and click the column header AREASQKM twice

Clearly not sorting the exponent. I'll try anything you suggest.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2010
    Ah, I see the issue. The sort type was only updated when you actually did a search, so if you did a search in text mode and not numeric mode, the sort would be text regardless of the selection until you actually did a search with numeric. I have updated the sort to use the selection without requiring you to do a search in that mode. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com