TerraServer

kaldenkalden Global Mapper UserPosts: 41
edited March 2010 in SDK
I see in the SDK that USGS data can be downloaded from TerraServer using GM_LoadTerraServerLayer

The Global Mapper application however has a number of other data sources to download data from. Are these sources better/worse quality than terra server? is there any way to access the other sources using the SDK?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2010
    The other sources tend to cover other areas/types of data that the USGS data. This includes NED and SRTM elevation data for the entire world, Landsat imagery for the entire world, and other sources. There is a new GM_LoadOnlineLayer function that provides access to those data sources. You can get that function in the latest SDK build avaliable at http://www.globalmapper.com/GlobalMapperSDK_v133_beta.zip.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kaldenkalden Global Mapper User Posts: 41
    edited February 2010
    Excellent. I'll have to take a look at the new documentation.

One other question. I am using the GlobalMapper application to pull down some TerraServer data. It just sort of hangs for a long time and eventually displays the map area with no data.

I looked into terraserver-usa.com and apparently they have changed to http://msrmaps.com/. Is it possible global mapper is pointing to an old server location? Or do I have some other issue.
    edited February 2010
    We were just made aware of the name change for the TerraServer-USA site yesterday, but when we tried to access the DOQ layer it still worked. Which layer are you trying to access and for what area? The UrbanArea layer in particular only covers a very limited area.

We will likely be updating our TerraServer-USA access to point to the msrmaps.com site very soon.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited February 2010
    I tried DOQ and urban and both would lock the application for at least 5 minutes, but possibly longer. Any thoughts on the long time out? Is there a way to configure how long the SDK waits before giving up? When I move this into our application, I would like to avoid a lock up like this.
    edited February 2010
    That is strange, what area are you trying to retrieve data for. I just tried the DOQ access again and verified that it works fine and was quite fast, even over the slow Verizon 3G connection that I am on in my hotel room.

Right now there is not any way to configure the timeout. However if you use the GM_SetProgressCallback function and specify during a draw that you want to report render progress, you should get your callback called every once in a while and could abort the draw from there.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2010
    It does seem to be working now. Maybe the server was temporarily down and the SDK internal timeout was just very long. I will look into using the progress callback, but it didn't look like there were any progress updates when it wasn't working.

Thanks