Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Displaying contour data in 3D mode

TylerBTylerB Global Mapper UserPosts: 4
edited February 2010 in Technical Support
I'm populating a 3D elevation grid using Hydro data (XYZ) where the Z depth value is in meters and is a negative value. When viewing in 3D view, how do I get my imported background data (imagery) to have the soundings referenced below the imagery, as it is in the real world? Is this possible?

Thanks......

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2010
    There is not currently any way to have your imagery map to anything other than the elevation grid surface in Global Mapper. In the future we may add an option to float imagery at some level (like a 0 height) rather than on the terrain surface and perhaps even display water in between.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • TylerBTylerB Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    Here's a new one. I am creating contours from a 3D elevation grid derived from Hydro XYZ data to then export as a KMZ or KML Google Earth file. Every time I export the file to KML, I can't seem to get the image clipped to just the border of the data. How do I clip the data to export just the visual contour extents to only visualize the actual derived contour data in Google Earth.

Thanks.......
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2010
    Are you using the Export Bounds tab when exporting to specify just the portion of data that you want to export? If you are just wanting to export the contours, I would suggest using the File->Export Vector->Export KML/KMZ to get a vector KML/KMZ file rather than a raster one.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com