Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Problem reading .dxf files

dcoggindcoggin Global Mapper UserPosts: 259Trusted User
edited February 2010 in Technical Support
Mike,

I'm having a problem reading some .dxf files. The files are US Army Corps of Engineers channel surveys available online. Some of the sheets in a series of sheets for a channel survey read fine and others will not. The message I'm getting is: "Unknown error reading C:\ . . . \ESB5C030409.dxf" All of these same .dxf's read fine in AutoCAD 2004. Even some that read properly in Global Mapper have a few spurious points scattered a long way from the real sheet once they are imported. I'm having the same results using both the 32 and 64 bit versions. My build time is Feb 1 2010, 14:34:28. I'll be glad to send you one or two if that helps. Thanks for your help.

David

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2010
    David,

If you can send one of the DXF files that causes the error I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • dcoggindcoggin Global Mapper User Posts: 259Trusted User
    edited February 2010
    I sent problem files to support@globalmapper.com. Thanks for taking a look.

David
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2010
    David,

I was able to fix the issue with the file that wasn't loading at all. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

For the spurious points, there is some kind of strange way of positioning some of the data in the DXF file that causes this, but even after extensively trying to figure it out, we've never been able to determine what exactly there is in the DXF file that we are missing and causing us to improperly position those extra points.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • dcoggindcoggin Global Mapper User Posts: 259Trusted User
    edited February 2010
    Mike,

Thanks a lot -- the fix works fine. I can deal with the spurious points.

David