Assign Random Colors to Features

MattMatt Global Mapper UserPosts: 176Trusted User
edited February 2010 in Suggestion Box
Maybe just me, but seems like the option to "Assign Random COlors to Features" under Area Styles tab of Vector options should assign the same color to separate polygons if they have the same Feature Name. For example, if you are coloring features based on the names of states, and there is a state with a bunch of islands, you'd want all the islands to be the same color, not different colors.

Maybe there is reason to color them differently, but I can't think of one off hand.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2010
    Matt,

I think in most cases that is a good idea. The only time I can think of it being problematic is if for some reason a large number of the areas have the same name, but really represent something different. I think that would be rare though, so I'll go ahead and make the default to keep the coloring the same if the name is the same. I'll point you at a new build when it is ready.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2010
    I have completed updating the random color assignment to keep features with the same name colored the same (worked great on a country map that I tried). I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • MattMatt Global Mapper User Posts: 176Trusted User
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, that works great. This makes it possible to export just about any size SHP file to Google Earth. Here is example of what I was able to do very easily with a 30 megabyte SHP file.

Major Resource Land Areas of the US

I created a grid of KMZ files that display vector area data at low altitude, and also an overview raster image to display at high altitudes. Sort of like SuperOverlay for vector area data.