Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

creating buildings in surface

phxdwlphxdwl Global Mapper UserPosts: 56Trusted User
edited January 2010 in Technical Support
i have 2 data sets i would like to combine into one surface.
the first is a dtm, points and breaks works great and i have a wonderful surface off of it.
the second is the boundaries of buildings, at the elavation of the top of the building.
i would like extrude the surface up to the tops of the buildings. what is the best way to do this. i tried to create a surface from the 2 layers but i got what looked like trapazoids. is there a way to basically make a break line at grade and the extrude up to the boundary i have?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2010
    What you need to do is right-click on your building layer in the Control Center, then select the option to generate an elevation grid. On the dialog that appears, check the option to flatten areas and that the elevations are relative to the loaded ground heights. This should give you a terrain layer created from the buildings that just has valid values inside the building outlines. Outside the buildings the base DTM should show through. You can then export the combined result to a single new file if you want.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • phxdwlphxdwl Global Mapper User Posts: 56Trusted User
    edited January 2010
    once agian your responce time is great, you actually responded in less time then it took me to drive home from the office.
    i read the responce and it appeas so simple but i cant make my data work.
    can i send a croped gmp of my data to have you take a look. im sure i am missing somthing simple
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2010
    Yes, if you want to send me a sample I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com