Global Mapper v25.0

Multiple workspaces with one "GPS" shapefile

limeyx
limeyx Global Mapper User
edited January 2010 in Vector Data
Apologies if this is a silly question, but I did attempt to find the answer in the fourms already

I have a lot of GIS data that I split into multiple workspaces for ease of use, and speed.

What I want to do is be able to create points (GPS waypoints basically) that I can then easily share and update from any of those workspaces

This "Points" file will be my master list of GPS sites.

What I did so far is export my GPS waypoints into a shapefile, then simply open that file in each workspace.

BUT when I save the workspace, the waypoints seem to get saved into a layer in the workspace, and NOT to the external shapefile as I would hope.

I can export my layer to the shapefile each time I quit, but thats a pain, and I think to do that I have to disable all the other layers first ?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something....

Nick

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2010
    Nick,

Saving a workspace will not update original source files. The only way to update a Shapefile is to actually export out a Shapefile. Otherwise your updates to a Shapefile data in one workspace would then affect other workspaces, which may not be what you want. Plus some formats of course are import only, so it wouldn't even be possible to update the source file.

You can split your data into multiple Shapefiles on export by choosing the option to split based on the type/description. Perhaps this will help you do what you want?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • limeyx
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Mike.

Exporting the shapefile manually will work (even if I have multiple) its just a little painful.

Understood on not wanting to modify the original data though --- that makes sense!

What I dont see is, say I have 11 layers open and 3 are my ".shp" files.
    Can i just somehow without disabling the 10 layers I dont want, export just each of my 3 ".shp" layers to my 3 shape files ?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2010
    There is not currently a way to easily export just a particular layer. You can right-click on a layer (or multiple layers) and generate a workspace file from just the selected layers. You could then easily load that workspace into a new instance of Global Mapper and export from that.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • limeyx
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Mike.

This is something that would be awesome if it could be addressed in a future version of GLobalMapper.

There is just no way I can keep all my data loaded at once, but I dont want a "fragmented" list of waypoints as I will never be able to keep it consistent