Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

How can I name tiles when exporting raster images?

chrisgrandinchrisgrandin Global Mapper UserPosts: 23Trusted User
edited January 2010 in Technical Support
Hi, Is there a way to name specific tiles when exporting raster images from GM.

We often have tiles made in some CAD Autocad/Microstation and with the tilename as a textstring inside the tile. Is there a way to make GM recognize it when exporting? Is there a workaround?

All the best,

Chris

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2010
    Chris,

Yes, if you have your desired tiles with the filename to use available as area features in Global Mapper, simply select all of those tiles with the Digitizer Tool, then start your export. On the Gridding tab of the export options dialog, select to grid to the selected area features. You will then be able to select an attribute of the areas to use for naming the generated tiles.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chrisgrandinchrisgrandin Global Mapper User Posts: 23Trusted User
    edited January 2010
    Hi again, and thanks for your help!

The problem for me is that I don't have the tilename as an attribute in the area feature, only as a name of the point feature that are placed within the area. So basically I have one pointfeature with text, and one area feature with no attribute for the tilename. As I understand I must have the tilename as an attribute to the actual tile (the area feature), to be able to export the raster image with the correct filename.

Is there a way in GM to fix that, or do I have to try to make a workaround in some other software?

Best regards

Chris
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2010
    Chris,

What you can do in Global Mapper is select all of your areas with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select the option to 'Add Attributes to Selected Areas from Points'. This should add the point attributes to the area that they are in. You'll then have the name associated with the area and can do the tiled export as suggested earlier.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chrisgrandinchrisgrandin Global Mapper User Posts: 23Trusted User
    edited January 2010
    Big thanks Mike,

It works fine now!

All the best,

Chris