Global Mapper v25.0

auto open USFS topo maps

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2010 in Raster Data
I have a bunch of USFS topo maps, the USGS ones that are updated by the USFS. I got them from http://svinetfc4.fs.fed.us/rastergateway/states/states.html

Now everytime I open a map, it asks me to confirm the settings (it guesses UTM zone 15 NAD83, though it might be zone 13 or whatever and it is NAD27). Is there a way to get globalmapper to correctly open these maps without my input? I'm almost at the point of sorting these into different folders depending on the zone (I have many different zones), but the naming convention isn't wonderful.

Example-
This site http://svinetfc4.fs.fed.us/rastergateway/scp/page_38106.html
takes you to a page where you can download 383710615.tar (which is a link to http://svinetfc4.fs.fed.us/rastergateway/softcopy/38106/38370615.tar.gz)

For some reason the cut the 1 of the 106 in the file name. I can't sort the file names as the naming seems to be NN**WW**.tif.

meta for the file found here http://svinetfc4.fs.fed.us/rastergateway/softcopy/38106/383710615.html

So what is the best way to get these imported properly into Globalmapper? Divvy them up by zone and import each zone seperately? I currently have all the .tif's in a folder.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2010
    What I would suggest is to divvy up the files by zone, with each zone in one folder, then create a default.prj file in each folder with the appropriate projection definition for the files in that folder. You can save the .prj file from any projection selection dialog, like the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog. Then Global Mapper will look for and use that default.prj file without prompting you at load time.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2010
    OK. I'll probably do that once windows indexes the files, so I can do a search to filter the files.
    Question/clarification...
    the prj file, do I name it default.prj or just whatever I want? Just keep it in the directory?
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2010
    The file needs to be named default.prj.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2010
    You could also do batch convert GeoTIFF to GeoTIFF. Load the files and select the Only Generate Metadata files. That will create a separate PRJ for each GeoTIFF. You'd probably still need to separate them by zone first and use the "always use this projection" option at the beginning of the batch. At least I think that would work.
  • redbeard
    edited January 2010
    That's what I was planning on doing, but as you noted, I still need to split them up by utm zone. I was kind of hoping to avoid that. But it shouldn't be too much work once I get moving (that is, if windows will find the file properly in the search bar).
  • redbeard
    edited January 2010
    That was easy enough to do. Knowing some windows search abilities helps...

????06??*.t??
    returns every tif and tfw that is at the 106 W longitude...as they were named something like 38370615.tif (and tfw).

I know globalmapper supports the *, but the character variable ? is useful. This might be a nice addition to the open all files in directory (in addition to the *).
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2010
    The wildcard match in Global Mapper should support the question-mark character as well. Is that not working for you?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    edited January 2010
    Didn't really try it, as I just used the explorer window to organize the files. What I had in mind is the dialog just mentions the *...if the ? works, then excellent!