viewshed height ranges

phxdwlphxdwl Global Mapper UserPosts: 56Trusted User
edited August 2012 in Suggestion Box
i know the original design for the view shed tool was for radio towers, but it works great for visual studies. i would like to have the ability to show % vissible of the transmitter or recever on the viewshed. this would allow me to show what % of pole is vissible. often a seen unseen is to basic. if anyone knows how to script this to run multiple viewsheds from a point for each 10% of the total height it would be apprecated

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited December 2009
    While you can't run a view shed from a script, you can use the Global Mapper SDK to calculate view sheds programmatically. See the Developers page at http://www.globalmappersoftware.com for the SDK download.

Otherwise you can simply click on a point multiple times to run the same view shed repeatedly and just input a different tower height each time to see where that height and above of the tower is visible from.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmappersoftware.com
  • phxdwlphxdwl Global Mapper User Posts: 56Trusted User
    edited December 2009
    that is exactally what i have been doing, but with long power lines the large number of towers is time consuming to do each by itself a programitic solution would be great. would i need the sdk to make a script to do that? unfortunatally getting the SDK approved when i allready have full arc info with 3D and spatial extentions would be hard.
    edited December 2009
    Currently you would need the SDK to do this as you cannot script view sheds.

Would it be easy for you to add attributes to your points with the desired transmitter heights? If so, I think I could pretty easily update the generation of view sheds from multiple selected points to use a transmitter height from an attribute rather than using the entered one, thus allowed you to easily generate multiple view sheds with varying heights in one operation.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ASheldonASheldon Global Mapper User Posts: 24
    edited February 2010
    Being able to produce multiple view sheds with one operation would be really useful. It gets my vote!
    edited February 2010
    Would this work if you could create view shed layers based on the points selected in the Digitizer/Edit tool?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited February 2010
    Yes, that would be great. Could the attributes of the points be transferred to their respective view sheds when they are generated?
    edited February 2010
    Yes, I'll add this feature and also be sure to copy the source point attributes to the newly created point. I'll let you know when it's ready.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited February 2010
    I started to add this and realized that in v11.01 there was already support for creating view sheds at multiple locations. You just select the points with the Digitizer Tool, then switch to the View Shed tool and click and you'll be prompted to use either the clicked location or the location of the selected points for the calculations.

I did update this process to copy the attributes of the selected points to the new tower points for the calculated view sheds. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited February 2010
    That's great, looks like I missed that feature in v11.01 too! I'll give the new version a try, thanks again.
  • spacebasspacebas Global Mapper User Posts: 28Trusted User
    edited August 2012
    This conversation is 4 years old, so I'll ask again. Is it possible to script multiple viewsheds from the same point with different parameters? This would be a great feature, since it would allow me to queue up a bunch of viewsheds just before I go home.
    edited August 2012
    There is support for running view sheds at multiple selected points with different attributes at each point location causing different view sheds to run for each point. See http://www.globalmapper.com/helpv13/Help_ToolsMenu.html#view_shed for details of what attributes are supported. This would be in the user interface and not via script, but I think it will achieve what you are after.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • spacebasspacebas Global Mapper User Posts: 28Trusted User
    edited August 2012
    I'm trying to generate 3 viewsheds at the same location with transmitter elevations of 80, 100, and 120 feet. This allows me to compare the change in PERCENT_VISIBLE for different tower elevations. I see how multiple viewsheds can be calculated at different points with the same parameters, but not how multiple viewsheds can be created from the same point with different parameters.
    edited August 2012
    Currently you would need to create 3 point features at the same location, each with a different set of attribute values. The easiest way to do that would be to use Copy/Paste, then edit each point as pasted to change the attributes.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com