Global Mapper Pro

How to clip an area of a DEM?

Hodgie
Hodgie Global Mapper User
edited December 2009 in Elevation Data
Hi,

Im trying to clip a select area of a DEM, and not sure how to do this? I've tried to use the digitiser tool..but it doens't seem to work for DEM's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2009
    If you want to crop out a polygonal section, simply draw your crop area with the Digitizer Tool and then select it (or just select an existing area), then use the appropriate File->Export Raster and Elevation Data menu command and on the Export Bounds tab select that you want to crop to the selected area.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hodgie
    Hodgie Global Mapper User
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Mike.

Is that the same process for clipping an area of an ecw file? As I would like to drape the imagery over the selected area (DEM).

Cheers.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2009
    Yes, you can do the same to clip an ECW, or instead of exporting you can just select the area, then open the Control Center, select the ECW, press Options, then go to the Cropping tab and select to crop to the selected area.

You can drape the ECW in the 3D view just by pressing the 3D button, or enable the texture map option on the Options dialog for the ECW to apply shadowing in the main view.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com