Point Feature Lables for KMZ vector export

MattMatt Global Mapper UserPosts: 176Trusted User
edited November 2009 in Suggestion Box
Export Vector | KML/KMZ Export Options

Not sure if there is some reason for this, but looks like I can have it display labels for lines and areas, but not points. Would be nice to be able to display labels for points also.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2009
    Matt,

The labels for points should automatically be displayed. For line and area features a separate label point has to be provided for a line/area feature, thus the option for lines and areas.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • MattMatt Global Mapper User Posts: 176Trusted User
    edited November 2009
    I'm using several different programs so I could be mixed up.....but I think for lines and polygons, it will display the label without the pop up balloon. But it doesn't do that with points.

The effect I'm looking for is to have the Name of the placemark displayed right next to it without having to open the pop up balloon. Then if the user wants more detail, they can click on the placemark to view the info in the balloon. Again, not sure if GM is supposed to do that or not....or maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
    edited November 2009
    Matt,

I would expect a KML from GM to display the label on the map for points, then display the label and additional description information/attributes when you actually click on the point. Are you not seeing this behavior?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2009
    Here's an example of the code generated when exporting points to KML and it does not display label for the points. In this case, I used the options to generate an index KML file, and also used custom html for the feature description, so maybe that had something to do with it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">;
    <Document>
    <!-- Begin Style Definitions -->
    <Folder>
    <name>Point Features</name>
    <description>Point Features</description>
    <Placemark>
    <description><![CDATA[ <p align="center"><strong>Johnson, James, Quarters</strong>
    <br /><strong>Off KY 227</strong>
    <br /><strong>Georgetown
    <br />KENTUCKY
    <br />83003818</strong></p> ]]></description>
    <Point>
    <coordinates>-84.6138976808,38.2133114001,0</coordinates>
    </Point>
    </Placemark>
    <Placemark>
    <description><![CDATA[ <p align="center"><strong>North Limestone Commercial District</strong>
    <br /><strong>N. Limestone St. between Church and 3rd Sts.</strong>
    <br /><strong>Lexington
    <br />KENTUCKY
    <br />83003652</strong></p> ]]></description>
    <Point>
    <coordinates>-84.4945258158,38.0489468114,0</coordinates>
    </Point>
    </Placemark>
    edited November 2009
    Matt,

Do your point features have a display label in GM? I would expect a <name> tag in the <Placemark> for the point if there was a display label for the point. From the KML that you provided it doesn't look like the source point had a display label in GM, so there wouldn't be one in the output KML file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2009
    Matt,

Do your point features have a display label in GM? I would expect a <name> tag in the <Placemark> for the point if there was a display label for the point. From the KML that you provided it doesn't look like the source point had a display label in GM, so there wouldn't be one in the output KML file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

That did the trick. I figured it might be somethign I was doing wrong. Thanks.