MapCatalog on XYZ and LAS files - dont reload all files when only "overview" is shown

STHSTH Global Mapper UserPosts: 434Trusted User
edited November 2009 in Suggestion Box
When adding XYZ or LAS files to a MapCatalogue it reads the entire files etc - it takes alot of time but it is needed to find the extent of the file I guess.

The problem is when loading the MapCatalogue for the second time it also reads all the LAS or XYZ-files - even though they are not shown. Is it possible so the XYZ / LAS- files are only loaded at the correct zoom-level and not when just the "red boxes" are shown?

Sorry for the bad explanation but I hope you understand what I mean.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2009
    It shouldn't be behaving like this. I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce the problems.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2009
    I just gave this a try and it seemed to work fine. The Lidar LAS files that I added to my map catalog didn't actually load and display until I zoomed in far enough for the boxes to no longer draw. Are the files loaded for you regardless of zoom level?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STHSTH Global Mapper User Posts: 434Trusted User
    edited November 2009
    Yes, regardles of zoom level. I will upload some smaller example-files in approximately 2-3 hours when I get back to work. No rush to fix it, but it really matters when loading for instance 4 250mb ASCII xyz- terrain files.
    edited November 2009
    Oh, can you also make sure you have the latest build. There was a bug in some early v11.01 builds that caused layers in a map catalog setup a certain way to always load and display, maybe you are seeing that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STHSTH Global Mapper User Posts: 434Trusted User
    edited November 2009
    The problem is in this case it was zoomed in too much when creating the mapcatalogue so it was inside the "load las-files" - or said in another way - the threshold for viewing the files instead of boundingboxes was not correctly set.
    edited November 2009
    Ok, so everything is correct, right?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com