Vector Elevation

kentmankentman Global Mapper UserPosts: 149Trusted User
edited November 2009 in Technical Support
Mike,

V 11.01 - I've just created a representation of a tower block (rectangle) and added an attribute of 'Height' with the value of '100'. When viewed in the 3D window I see 1/3rd above ground and 2/3rds below (I'm assuming that the base is down to a standard geoide) and above is to the height in the 'Height' attribute - but:
  • How does GM know to use this figure?
  • Is it using the attribute as a height measurement?
  • How acurate is this?
  • Is there any detail tutorial or documentation of this feature?
This is a great feature but with little information I can find.
Kent

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2009
    Kent,

Global Mapper uses the height of vector features to render them in space. If you display the 3D view options dialog (the right-most button on the 3D toolbar) you can specify that the vector height values are treated relative to the terrain and also choose to extrude 3D areas (i.e. extend them to the ground elevation, creating a building-like display). There is some information on this at http://globalmapper.com/helpv11/Help_3DView.html although it is admittedly a bit sparse. Let me know if it's not clear and I'll add some more documentation to that page.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kentmankentman Global Mapper User Posts: 149Trusted User
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Mike,

Not really what I was after - I'd like to understand what it is doing not how (I've done that). The Malaysia example in the help you directed me to shows a huge amount of detail including roof details and it would be nice to achieve something like that.
    I still don't understand how GM determined the height of the building for instance!
    Some better documentation of features is required and if this is a resource issue, and I can get to understand it a bit more, I would be willing to write detailed documentation for others to use.

Hope you can help a little more.
    Kent
  • Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited November 2009
    kentman wrote: »
    Mike,

V 11.01 - I've just created a representation of a tower block (rectangle) and added an attribute of 'Height' with the value of '100'. When viewed in the 3D window I see 1/3rd above ground and 2/3rds below (I'm assuming that the base is down to a standard geoide) and above is to the height in the 'Height' attribute - but:
    • How does GM know to use this figure?
    • Is it using the attribute as a height measurement?
    • How acurate is this?
    • Is there any detail tutorial or documentation of this feature?
    This is a great feature but with little information I can find.
    Kent

Hi Kentman. I'm the one who updated the 3D viewer code.

In v11.01, the extrusion length is from the height down to 99% of the minimum elevations.

The height is either an absolute value, or relative to the terrain.

If your terrain is at an altitude of 100m, and your building height is 7m, the building height will be drawn at 107m. If your vertical exaggeration is the default 3, they would end up at 300m and 321m.

Additional documentation and tutorials are not yet available.
    edited November 2009
    Frank,

Thanks for that. It explains what I need to do to get a true representation although it would be good to take the height of the building and extrude it to that height and pop it on top of the terrain without having to add the terrain height into the building height but, still a great feature - perhaps it will develop.

I'm very interested in how this feature will work for burried assets.

Kent
  • Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited November 2009
    I corrected my post, (height 121 -> 321).

Feedback generally improves things. There are already more enhancements in the pipeline.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2009
    Kent,

I thought I'd add, you don't have to manually adjust your building height for the terrain height so long as you check the box on the 3D View Properties/Options dialog to make the vector heights relative to the terrain. Then that adjustment is done for you automatically and you can just specify the building height from the ground.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2009
    To both Mike and Frank,

Thanks for the replies when I do some interesting stuff I'll post it up.

Kent