Draw order and kml files

rbrrbr Global Mapper UserPosts: 29
edited October 2009 in Technical Support
Hi,

I exported a web format kml file and a vector format kml file. The web format kml file rapresent a terrain layer including contour lines and "area features colored based on the elevation shader..". In the kml file exported in vector format there are some polygones ond points. When I open both files in google earth the terrain layers is always on the top. I tried different settings but I have always the same results. Could you please help me?

Best regards,

rbr

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2009
    I took a look and was able to reproduce your issue with area features always showing behind terrain layers. I was able to fix this by adding an elevation attribute with a height of 1 meter to the areas and then when exporting specifying that area heights are relative to the ground. This floats the areas in space just above the ground and makes them draw over raster layers. Apparently Google Earth has some issues with polygon drawing in the presence of other raster layers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • rbrrbr Global Mapper User Posts: 29
    edited October 2009
    Thanks.

It works.
    The strange thing is that, together with the raster file and the file with the "elevation attribute 1 m", I opened also another vector file without any elevation attributes and it is visible ( on top of the raster file).
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2009
    I was able to see all of my lines and points from the file that I created, it was only filled polygons that were drawn below the raster KMZ file, at least in my test.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeardredbeard Global Mapper User Posts: 279Trusted User
    edited October 2009
    Someone enlighten me.

How does GE do the draw order?

It seems that whatever layer you turned on last is what is on top, regardless of position in the My Places organizer thing. This is using a few topo maps of the area.