View Shed and Tree Canopy

waynerwayner Global Mapper UserPosts: 11
edited October 2009 in Technical Support
Hello,
I have not purchased Global Mapper yet but my question is:

Is the viewshed tool capable of adding a tree canopy raster (say of 50 feet) to the existing USGS DEM and then running the viewshed tool.

I have performed this in ArcInfo but my company only has one license and that is a bit pricey $. I am willing to purchase this if it is capable of adding the tree canopy height to the USGS DEMs and then running the analysis.

Thanks,
Wayne

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2009
    Wayne,

Yes, you can easily do that with the view shed tool in Global Mapper. You would just load your tree canopy vector layer and add an ELEVATION attribute to the canopy layer area features with the desired height, then include that vector layer with relative heights when doing the view shed.

If you only have a raster input layer you could export it to an 8-bit grayscale BIL, then load that as an elevation layer and then mark the non-canopy areas as invalid and scale/offset the tree areas to the appropriate height, then use the File->Combine Terrains layer command to combine the new canopy layer with the base DEM to create a new layer. Obviously if you have the tree data as vector data that would be easier.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • waynerwayner Global Mapper User Posts: 11
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Mike. Do you have any other screenshots of the veiwshed analysis tool. Also, after I would perform the analysis in global mapper, would I be able to export that viewshed into Arcview to make more maps.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2009
    There is a screenshot available at http://www.globalmapper.com/images/screenshots/ViewShedBlueSprings.jpg and http://www.globalmapper.com/helpv11/Help_ToolsMenu.html#view_shed .

You can certainly export your view shed results for use in another application. You can export a rendered image of the results to any number of image formats, like GeoTIFF, for import in another application. If you chose to also generate a vector coverage for the view shed (this is the default), you can export those coverage area features to any supported vector export format, like Shapefiles.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com