Global Mapper v25.0

Is there a way to quantify "loose" vs "tight" slider bar when gridding?

mramend
mramend Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2009 in Elevation Data
Hi there-

I've been wondering this for a long time and have yet to see it implemented in GM.. When creating Elevation grid from a set of points, there is a slider bar that lets you set the "No Data" "Distance Criteria". The slider bar is an ok GUI interface for quick-and-dirty qualitative grid creation, but I have problems in that I do not know exactly what "tight" and "loose" are- and what horizontal distances the in-between slider locations mean.

For now I have to line up the slider with a letter, like the "l" in the word "valid" or "g" in "tighter". It seems awfully hokey for an option that is supposed to set "Distance Criteria". Right now that criteria is: how far to you slide the button...

My beef: it's impossible in GM reproduce an interpolative gridding process unless you are either full-on or full-off, or are good at lining up the silder button with the letters above..

Is there hope to make this more meaningful??? Does someone know how to quantify the slider bar? Can GM developers allow for numerical input boxes (distance as a quantity rather than a rough guess via a slider?)

Any thoughts, answers, hopes would be appreciated.

thanks, mark

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2009
    Mark,

What version of Global Mapper are you using? In the latest build you get a numerical value tacked onto the end of the group box text as you move the slider for all values except all the way loose, which means no distance criteria. The number reported is a multiplier to the grid spacing that ends up being used.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mramend
    mramend Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, Mike! We're using version 10. I'll make a recommendation to the powers that be to "turn it up to 11".. ;-)