getting Polygon boundaries to display on GPS

gpsmprgpsmpr Global Mapper UserPosts: 77Trusted User
edited October 2009 in Technical Support
I have the PLSS data for an entire state and I'm trying to export an .MP file and create an img file that will display the boundaries of each section on a GPS. The problem is I give them all a polygon mp_type definition, then when the data is displayed on the GPS it is just one solid background and you can't see the lines between each section.

Anybody have ideas on how can I tell cgpsmapper to display the polygon boundaries?

Here were some of my ideas:
1. create a custom type definition that has a border - didn't work because the border changes with zoom level
2. get PLSS data that is defined as lines in shapefile - couldn't find any
3. define each section as a different type with a different color so you can see the boundaries - Will work but I need the background of each section to be the same color and style
4. Configure Area Styles in Global Mapper so the border shows up - anything you do here looks great in Global Mapper but cgpsmapper doesn't know what to do when it is creating the img files

Comments

• ollagynotollagynot Global Mapper User Posts: 39Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Maybe try converting the polygon data to line data using the “create line feature from existing area feature” Then you could use both the polygon and line data overlaying the line data over the polygon data.
  • gpsmprgpsmpr Global Mapper User Posts: 77Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    OK, that could work. I'll try.

Any other ideas?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2009
    I think creating lines from the areas might be the best approach, otherwise you can make sure your MP_TYPE attribute for the areas is one that maps to an area type that a GPS unit won't display filled, although I can't think of any area types that wouldn't be filled on the GPS unit, at least not off the top of my head.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited September 2009
    Global mapper goes to not responding after a minute of trying to convert the areas to lines. I let it think about it overnight last night but it just seems to not get it done.

I broke out a .5x.5 degree portion and it worked in 3 seconds.

Just FYI
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2009
    That's strange. Can you send me the data that you are trying to convert to lines so that I can give it a try? That operation should be very fast.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2009
    I recently had time to let it run for two days. It worked, but it took over 24 hours to do the whole state. It's a lot of data, thanks.