Historical coordinate systems definition

BushmanBushman Global Mapper UserPosts: 29
edited August 2009 in Suggestion Box
I didn't find the way to work with coordinate systems of this kind, so I decided to put it to "Suggestions".

There are lots of historical maps from 19th century with non-Greenwich prime meridian. Some maps uses Paris meridian, some "Ferro" (El Hierro, Canary island, three or more variants), some maps from Russia - Pulkovo observatory meridian, in USA - Washington and Philadelphia etc. Is it possible to make an option in coordinate definition dialog to add prime meridian shift in degrees to get proper lat/lon grid to make working with historical data easier?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2009
    In Global Mapper prime meridian shifts are supported as part of a datum definition. I will add an option when creating a custom datum to provide a prime meridian other than 0 (Greenwich). I'll point you at a new build when that is ready.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited August 2009
    I have completed adding a new option when creating a new custom datum to specify the prime meridian for that datum. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • BushmanBushman Global Mapper User Posts: 29
    edited August 2009
    Thank you for very quick support. Very useful feature.
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 454Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Mike,

I've noticed lately that the 32- and 64-bit builds have been kept closely in sync. I think a new 64-bit built has been posted alongside every new 32-bit build.

Thank you. This is very welcome.

Tim Baigent
    edited August 2009
    Tim,

Yes, I'm trying to keep those in sync, even if I don't mention the 64-bit build in the email (I usually only will if the user specifically mentioned they were using the 64-bit version) it is likely updated.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com