Global Mapper Pro

Grand Canyon

ollagynot
ollagynot Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2009 in GIS Data Sources
Can anyone point me in the direction of high quality trail data for the Grand Canyon? I have found several trails collected by hikers but would really like a good quality data file for the entire park. I have already been to the National Park GIS data portal as well as the National Forest Service Site. Both have a big collection of roads, water, infrastructure, etc. but no trails. I have spent a lot of time googling but have been unsuccessful so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Tony

Comments

• Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited August 2009
    The NPS GIS site does have it, but not in a convenient form. This data set has "Roads, Routes, Streets and Trails of Grand Canyon National Park and Arizona", so you'd have to thin it out yourself.

http://science.nature.nps.gov/nrdata/datastore.cfm?ID=20433
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Actually, this is an easier way to get some high quality data. Download the "High Resolution Boundary at Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona" data set and load that into GM. Then, using those bounds, use the Download Online data option and select OpenStreetMap as the source.

http://science.nature.nps.gov/nrdata/datastore.cfm?ID=20425
  • ollagynot
    ollagynot Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Thank you for the reply. That particular file is missing trail data even though it is labeled as containing roads and trails. I attached a photo and you can see the trails in the inner canyon are missing. The Open Street data seems to be the same. I also hope to be able to make a Garmin map so I am hoping for vector data. I can trace the trails from 24k topo but that will require too much work.

Thank You,
    Tony
    GC.bmp 508.6K
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    ollagynot wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of high quality trail data for the Grand Canyon?
    Suggest you email the GIS staffer who works in the park.