Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

GeoPDF output Resolution

smilesmile Global Mapper UserPosts: 171Trusted User
edited August 2009 in Technical Support
I would like to risk another question on GeoPDF knowing very well there are still limitations like not being robust etc.

When I am exporting beyond 300 DPI ,I am getting a simple white sheet in PDF but layers are being created but blank white sheet

Similarly like any other printer setting I would like to have custom size of paper as putting large mosaics into A0 may change the clarity of the sheet

Please look into

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2009
    Smile,

What DPI are you trying? I just did a 600 DPI export and it looked fine in Acrobat Reader.

Note that just yesterday I added support for including JPG-compressed images in exported PDF files, which greatly reduces the file size of most types. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • smilesmile Global Mapper User Posts: 171Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    I tried 400 and 600 both are blank in Adobe Reader 9.

I will try again now.

I did see the jpg compression option but I thought it will deteriorate my output so I did not check it ,in any case I was handling some normal JPGs and Tiffs together.

I also downloaded and installed the quickPDF library thinking that it may help

I will try and let you know

Thanks
    edited August 2009
    The JPG option doesn't degrade things significantly. I used a pretty high quality setting for the generated JPG files to minimize degradation.

What size paper are you exporting to? Does the same export work at a lower DPI?

The QuickPDF library wouldn't do you any good. Any updates to that would have to be integrated into Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited August 2009
    I have exported a portion of the mosaic to GEoPDF/A0 600 and 1200 DPI resolution for testing . In both cases immediately after opening in Acrobat Pro 9 ,The file shows as blank.

I think I found the problem -may be you can correct me

1. I was not using fill page option and using A0 as that is the maximum possible and in the pdf majority portion is white at the bottom and Adobe is not able to render it immediately after opening as Zoom level coming from the output is low say 3 or 4% .Even if I zoom in to 100 0r 125 etc still it does not render though Geo toolbar shows coordinates,

2. I tried to tweak Prefernces but it did not work

3 Finally If I switch on the grid the raster is shown and it continues to show even if we toggle

4.If we close and reopen the same has to be repeated

Possible fixes could be to define a higher zoom level while creation and may be to keep the grid on if it can be done while creation

For the time the output is quite good as clarity was being lost at 300 DPI

My other question was whether we can have free float or custom size of output as these outputs are always electronically used in my case and never printed in full

Thanks

P.S: I will see if grid toggle option is also there in Reader version and let you know in a while
    edited August 2009
    In Adobe Reader there is no Grid Option. However it also showed blank.Here the solution is to go to Edit /Prefrences and change the resolution to say from 96 Pixel per inch to 72 Pixels . This will trigger the rendering and one can see the map

I think it has a limitations in rendering such raster data as it is not meant for it

Thanks
    edited August 2009
    I am also uploading the test files. As usual my upload speed would be very slow. But I will give it a try. You might be wondering if a graphic card would help in rendering , the graphic card I have is Nvidia 765MB. This seems to be a limitation in rendering by Acrobat

Thanks
    edited August 2009
    I tried this and the images did not display for me either until I went to preferences and changed my view DPI to 72. I'm guessing you just have too much data in there and Adobe can't load it all until your lower the DPI. There is probably some ceiling in Acrobat for how much memory it will use for images. As you say, the PDF format wasn't really designed for huge images.

The PDF library that we use only supports a pre-defined list of paper sizes, it does not have any facility for custom sizes.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited August 2009
    I just want add that these files will render in Acrobat and Reader as discussed, but they cannot be imported back to GM

Thanks