Help needed with workflow please

andyederandyeder Global Mapper UserPosts: 33Trusted User
edited August 2009 in Technical Support
Hi all,

I am looking for help / suggestions as to how I would best approach a particular problem using GlobalMapper. A little background information first...

I have a latlong position and a catalog of SRTM data tiles (in which the position is situated). I need to be able to define an area of 500km square centered about that given latlong position. Once that area has been defined I then need to export the contained elevation data ONLY to a suitable format (which will likely be a GeoTIFF of N x N pixels). I'm not entirely sure the best way to define the area about the point.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2009
    To get the size you want I would first set your projection to a projected one, like UTM, on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog. Then, do your GeoTIFF export and on the Export Bounds tab select the option to use a 'Corner w/ Size', then specify your desired top left coordinate and a width and height necessary to get the 500 km square area. This could be a width and height of 22360.78 meters (I took the square root of 500 to get the length of each side of the square in km, then multiplied by 1000 to get meters).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • andyederandyeder Global Mapper User Posts: 33Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Mike - that's just what I was looking for and is also much easier than I expected. Thanks for your time and reply.