Global Mapper v25.0

LZMA format compatability

tfitz2001
tfitz2001 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2009 in Suggestion Box
We tend to compress many files in an effort to save as much space as possible. The LZMA compressed ZIP format compresses our NED elevation database very well. However, we have to decompress and then load into GM.

It would be nice to have GM this added functionality to open LZMA ZIP files when opening highly compressed data.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2009
    We can take a look and see if our Zip library has an updated for LZMA-compressed zips.

You might also consider converting your NED data to the Global Mapper Grid (GMG) format as it should offer much better compression.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tfitz2001
    tfitz2001 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Very minor, and an Easter Egg. When exporting to Global Mapper Grid file from the File menu, one of the options is for "Onlly Lossless Compression". Minor typo in the program v10.02.

It seems that converting to a GM Package data file allows for a better looking product than converting to the GM Grid. I use 1/3 NED data but this minor pixelation is acceptable, as long as this does not hinder contour creation at 10 ft intervals. It seems that a large Batch/Convert weekend is in order.

Many thanks.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2009
    Thanks, I will fix that typo for the next release.

The GM Package format uses the Global Mapper Grid format internally for storing elevation data. I would just check your parameters used during the GMG export and make sure you use an elevation unit that can maintain the full resolution of your data, like deimeters or decifeet. Or you can just use a GM Package file if that is easier for you.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com