dted export

SanjitMatharuSanjitMatharu Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited August 2009 in Elevation Data
Is it possible to export DTED with the additional files that support this format?

(DMED, onc.dir files)

Currently when ive tried using the export dted option (v11beta) it only exports .dtx files without these associated files.

thanks

Sanjit

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2009
    Sanjit,

Global Mapper does not currently support export any DTED-supporting files, like DMED or onc.dir files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SanjitMatharuSanjitMatharu Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited August 2009
    i have found a tool that allows me to generate the DMED file, but so far have struggle to get any decent information on ONC files.

You wouldnt happen to know a good place that explains how this file format works so i could create a script or mini tool that will create this file?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2009
    Sorry, I'm not aware of any documentation of the onc.dir file format. Is it perhaps a simple text format that you can view in a text editor to perhaps decode the format?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited August 2009
    :)

yeah tried that, but there is a geo code that appears to relate to the ONC code (Operational Navigation Charts i think) of the area the files relate to. trouble is finding our which DTED LAT/LONG's fit into each of these specific geo codes. So far all ive found are some images but have been unable to find a table with the exact values...

slightly frustrating as it means i have to use trial and error to get it right!!!
    edited August 2009
    but cheers for responding so quickly :)
  • Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited August 2009
    I couldn't quickly find documentation, but if you're patient enough, you can figure out which chart would cover your area of interest as shown here:
    - East View Cartographic
  • abarefoot1abarefoot1 Posts: 2
    I know I am late to this discussion, but do you remember where you found the DMED online tool?  I am trying to replicate the same .txt files (onc.dir / dmed) for a large DTED file and find the task to be slightly overwhelming.  Thanks in advance.