Manually Setting Cache?

digitalaviatordigitalaviator Global Mapper UserPosts: 76Trusted User
edited September 2009 in Technical Support
I'm running into a new issue after creating a dual Windows 7/Windows Vista system in that my main C: drive now only has about 27GB available to work with...

I'm noticing when importing a directory full of data the c: drive is filling up and then the whole process falls over once the hard drive is full...

I've looked in the GM menus and also the main GM folder to see if there's a way to set the cache/scratch disk and I haven't come across anything...

Is there a way to define a disk to use as a scratch disk or is there a way that can be added to GM11?

Cheers,
Dean.
igorsldk

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2009
    Dean,

Global Mapper uses the Windows TEMP system environment variable to determine where to store temporary files. In Vista, these are at:

system properties dialog window
    advanced tab
    environment variables button

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • digitalaviatordigitalaviator Global Mapper User Posts: 76Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    Ok thanks Mike, just out of curiosity, in future I'd prefer not to change my windows temp folder, but be able to assign a scratch disk as per photoshop style for GM, would that be possible to implement in some future release?

Edit: Or even if there's perhaps a registry entry for GM that will allow me to tweak it specifically?
    edited July 2009
    Dean,

Actually there is a registry tweak for this. If you add a string key at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\TempDir' with the value set to your desired temporary folder that should be used instead of the system TEMP value.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt DoughtyMatt Doughty Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited September 2009
    with respect to setting the cache in Vista, I'm running GM on XP- how can I set or define an alternative cache?
    edited September 2009
    Matt,

The process for setting the temporary (cache) folder is the same on both XP and Vista.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • yianniyianni Global Mapper User Posts: 92Trusted User
    Hi all

I am experiencing the same issues.

Unfortunately I am not that computer savvy (I thought I was until I read this) and I have no idea where to add this string key at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\TempDir'

As an idea, maybe the directory could be defined via the Global Mapper interface in a future release.

I am using GM 16.2 64bit and Win7

Thanks for your help

y
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,057
    edited September 2015
    You will need to use the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to add the string key.  
    1. When you run the Registry Editor, the left side of the screen has a tree of key names, which you will need to navigate the same way you would navigate through a directory tree, starting with HKEY_CURRENT_USER, until you reach 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper'.  
    2. When you click on the GlobalMapper key, the right side of the screen will show a large number of value names with associated data.  
    3. Right-click on the list of names and choose New->String Value.  Type the name TempDir in the edit box for the name, and press Enter.  
    4. Right-click on the TempDir key that you just added, and choose Modify....  On the Edit String window, type the full path to the directory that you want to use for your Global Mapper temporary files.  The next time you start Global Mapper, it will put temporary files in the directory you specified.
  • wmiswmwmiswm Global Mapper User Posts: 220Trusted User
    edited October 2015
    Though I know how to deal with registry and have defined my TempDir, I agree with the suggestion to provide the option within the GM preference. Not every GM user need to be a computer guru. Providing the option within GM is nothing difficult to implement. There are a lot of reasons needing to define the tmp folder other than the default windows tmp folder. One of the reasons is that some auto maintenance software will mistakenly clean up the windows tmp folder while GM is still working. Another reason is to spread the disk job across disks to increase the i/o efficiency.
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,057
    I agree that having to update the registry is not ideal.  We are currently beginning the process of redesigning the Configuration dialog (feature request #13797), which will include the ability to set the directory where temporary files will be stored.