Global Mapper Pro

Best practices for many rasters

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2009 in Raster Data
I have several DRGs I need to merge and export in Google maps format. At this time it is a 5deg x 5deg area, which is 1600 maps. These all need to be compressed (for file size reasons), collars clipped, and exported. I tried loading 128 DRGs and gave me an error after 96 or 97 of them. What is the best way to start this?

If I create a catalog, will it export properly?

Also, side question. I loaded several maps in a catalog, but 3 of them had bad info and placed them in the wrong location, as evident by the catalog. I could not identify these as it would not let me select/click on it. Is there a way to draw a box around the boxes to help me identify the incorrect DRGs?

Thanks.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2009
    Yes, adding all of the files to a map catalog and exporting from there would be the way to go.

To get named boxes for each map, right-click on the map catalog in the Control Center and select the option to create area bounding boxes from the layer. This should allow you to identify the mis-placed files.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    Another question, as the tifs will be converted to png tiles, does it make a difference if I compress the tif files beforehand (lzw) or is that pointless as the png compresses them?

Also what are some things I can do to make the tiling process faster?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2009
    It doesn't make any difference what compression your TIFF file uses as the data is uncompressed and then recompressed using the PNG compression scheme.

If you are already creating a map catalog and then doing the tiling, there really isn't much you can to do speed it up except perhaps running multiple instances of Global Mapper (one for each processor core you have), each doing the same export with the option checked to skip existing files.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com