Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting Limitations?

jmwheatley
jmwheatley Global Mapper User
edited July 2009 in Technical Support
Hello.

Still dealing with the SID and TIFF conversions to ECW mosaics issues. Trying many different methods to make these go but have had limited results. At this point I'm trying to figure out if there are any limitations to GM that are causing our issues.

For example, I have attempted to run a county consisting of 2,239 SID tiles. The total size of the files 7.80GB. Every time I load and run the export it locks up at 19%. I can leave it for days and GM shows to still be processing it's butt off in disk monitor but no progress is being made. I've tried loading in the directory tree, building a map catalog, move the tiles and load them locally and no matter what I try, it locks up at 19%. Another county I have tried that is very close in size locks up at 24% using the same tests as mentioned above.

The machine I'm working on is a Dell Workstation 2GB RAM. Our initial thought is to purchase a new machine with say 8GB RAM, but before we do we need to make sure there are no limitations on the software end.

The last attempt we are doing is to only run a handful of tiles at a time and then merge those sections together at the end. Not ideal, but seems to be working so far. Not sure if the final mosaic will work or not though. While this seems to be working, we are into week two of this process and I have 23 more counties to run... LOL Not really good turnaround.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. We are willing to spend the money on more memory, but we want to make sure it will make a difference and that GM is not the limiting factor.

The TIFFs are a whole other story...

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2009
    Jason,

I think with that many files you are running into limits on how much data can be cached at once in Global Mapper, resulting in you hitting a boundary in the map where the cache stops being efficient and the export slows to a crawl.

The solution is likely either breaking your export into smaller chunks, or getting a 64-bit version of Windows and more memory and then using the beta native 64-bit v11 version of Global Mapper which should allow much larger data sets to be processed.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    To check of one more thing to try I guess you can also try the demo version of ER Mapper to see if it handles it:

ERDAS Product Information ::: ERDAS ER Mapper
  • STH
    edited July 2009
    FYI I will try to create a large ECW from GeoTIFFs with GlobalMapper v11 64bit with 8GB RAM within a week, will let you know how it goes in this thread
  • STH
    edited July 2009
    jmwheatley wrote: »
    2,239 SID tiles

I suspect that GlobalMapper have to decompress the whole SID-file before usage, it can not load a part of the SID file. Perhaps you can try to export from SID to a format that can handle "partial loading" of data? For instance try to batch convert the files from SID to 24-bit RGB Image (JPG-in-TIFF) (I dont remember if GlobalMapper generates untiled files, tiled files or "line-tiled" (dont remember the name, but its storing the data "line by line"), then load the GeoTIFFs and generate the ECW.

Previous post not valid - look at next post from GlobalMapper
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Actually that is not the case. Global Mapper can read from SID files on-the-fly just like it can GeoTIFF and most other imagery files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jmwheatley
    edited July 2009
    Hello...

OK v11 has not really helped our situation. It's helped us get to the problem faster, but not solve it.

I am working on my home workstation (64bit/8GB)

The one test county I'm working on failed in the same location as it did on the 32bit/2GB machine. We have concluded that it might be an issue with the sids. So I've started a new method. I'm now aggregating the thousands of tiles into larger ECW pieces with the intention of merging those pieces together. Everything had seemed to be going fine with that... But when trying to mosaic the aggregated ECW tiles together I got this error...

"Unable to generate ECW file <path/file>. ECW error SetView() Error - View size is limited to 4000x4000 or 64 high in progressive mode.

An error has occurred: Error 53 "Could not read line from input image file" file "" line 0ECWOverlay.cpp - 1578"

No idea what that means. I've not had limitations on pixel H/W before running much larger mosaics?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Your seeing a problem with the ECW export in the early 64-bit builds. Try the latest (beta2) from http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_setup_64bit.exe and the ECW export issue should be fixed.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jmwheatley
    edited July 2009
    That seemed to take care of it. Great!