Multiple processors, cores and threading

andyederandyeder Global Mapper UserPosts: 33Trusted User
edited July 2009 in Suggestion Box
Hi,

With the popularity of multicore and multiprocessor systems in the home, and at the workplace, I was wondering if it might be worthwhile re-factoring the source code such that GlobalMapper can take full advantage of these. I know it's not a trivial thing to do but I personally think it would take what is already an excellent piece of software to the next level.

For example, it would be great to spawn several worker threads that are tasked with retrieving data from online sources whilst the main GUI thread still remains fully operational and interactive at the same time (albeit perhaps with a limited subset of options available whilst the retrieval task is in process).

Another example: If the user decides to carry out a processor intensive task on a given data set (for example determining the average height of a region) then spawning this task off onto another thread may well still allow the user to visualise and interact with the data set in realtime.

I hope the above makes sense...

Many thanks,
Andy

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2009
    Andy,

I agree that it would be great in some places for Global Mapper to use more multi-threading, but as you say it is an extremely complex and error-prone process and we have very limited development resources. For now we are concentrating on adding new requested functionality, although someday we hope to revisit some particularly lengthy processes and upgrade them to use multiple threads.

For now the best way to maximize Global Mapper's processor usage is to split large processes into multiple Global Mapper instances. This is useful for large exports and such.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • andyederandyeder Global Mapper User Posts: 33Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    Hi Mike,

Yes, I can certainly appreciate the difficulties and order of magnitude increase in complexity that such a change would bring! I sincerely hope that at some point in the future you can find the resources to pursue such a development route. By the way, I'd just like to make it clear that my comment/suggestion was not a criticism (not that I believe you read it as so); I think GlobalMapper is a great piece of software and my only wish is that the organisation for which I work had found it sooner and been able to purchase it many, many months ago.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    Andy