Managing Multiple GPS Recievers

s416as416a Global Mapper UserPosts: 3
edited July 2009 in GPS Features
Hi there,

I see in the help file, and in the program, under GPS, the ability to manage GPS vessels. The help file make reference saying "This dialog can be considered the central command center for fleet management operations when tracking multiple GPS devices through a compatible receiver.
". Has some one any more information on setting up Global Mapper to do this? What is a "compatible reciever?" Is it a radio modem that recieves multiple signals and is able to seperate the signals into seperate com ports?

Can I add a second com port and link it to a second GPS unit?

I'm looking at tracking 2 smaller survey launches operating from a mother ship, and don't want to invest in expensive AIS if I can do what I need in GM.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2009
    Jon,

Basically a 'compatible receiver' is one that communicates with multiple GPS devices, then combines their position information into a single NMEA stream through one COM port using $PRAVE sentences (other sentences could be add if you have a device that uses something else). Currently the only receivers I'm aware of that do this are available from RaveonTech.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com