Global Mapper v25.0

Line feature on QTR shp files

m_world@telus.net
m_world@telus.net Global Mapper User
edited June 2009 in Vector Data
What I'm trying to do is to export a series of lines where a shp file featuring a grid is supposed to be.

This grid is quarter section grid, loaded as a shape file and brought into global mapper. Then I trace the grid using the Line feature and eventually export the lines as a shp file, import into Mapwel, and finally into a GPS.

My concern is time, this grid job will take me roughly a week, maybe week and a half to do, solid, so my question is, is there a faster way of doing this.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2009
    If your grid lines need to be on some regularly spaced grid, you could use the grid setup on the General tab of the Configuration dialog with a custom spacing to get the grid lines you need, then export those grid lines to a Shapefile.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • m_world@telus.net
    m_world@telus.net Global Mapper User
    edited June 2009
    I see what you're saying but unfortunately, the line of the grid setup, is not the same lines as my grid shp file.

Is there a way to somehow convert the lines from the grid shp file, to all lines as in the Line Feature command, and then export as a separate shp file?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2009
    If you already have the grid lines in a shape file, I'm not sure I understand why you need to trace them again to export them to a new Shapefile. Are your original grid lines perhaps areas and not lines? If so, what you can do is select them with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select the option to create lines from the selected areas, which will then give you lines that you can export to a line Shapefile.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com