Removing collars and georeferencing JPGs

mdindestinmdindestin Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
We've got a thousand or two paper survey plan sheets that need to be brought into our ESRI GIS software. We've already scanned them in color (due to redline markups) in files about 2MBs in size. The surveys are of long lineal utility line features that traverse many miles.

I've used ArcMAP to georeference a few and that went well although I haven't trimmed the collars or put them in a mosaic. Also, there are match lines on each map that ideally would be blended.

We're going to need to train someone how to trim collars, georeference, blend and mosaic the sheets so I'm looking for a relatively easy way to train a non-GIS person how to do this.

Is Global Mapper a good way to get this done? Any thoughts appreciated.

MD

Comments

• MattMatt Global Mapper User Posts: 176Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    Global Mapper is pretty simple and straightforward to use. Especially compared to ESRI's stuff. If you already know the lat/lon of the corners of the maps, then it's basically a data entry exercise.
  • mdindestinmdindestin Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited June 2009
    Matt wrote: »
    Global Mapper is pretty simple and straightforward to use. Especially compared to ESRI's stuff. If you already know the lat/lon of the corners of the maps, then it's basically a data entry exercise.

Watching the tutorial on georeferencing with GM got me thinking about using it. I can train someone quickly how to zoom to an area in ArcMAP and obtain the coordinates of angles in the lines for control points.

My point being that to georeference an image, it would seem ideal to have ArcMAP on one screen and Global Mapper on a laptop or second machine adjacent to it.

What about cropping the collars, blending the match lines and mosaicing? Are those tools fairly easy to use for a novice?

MD
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2009
    Yes, you can easily crop collars in various ways using the Cropping options tab accessible via the Options dialog for layers from the Control Center. You can crop via lat/lon boundary, polygon, native coordinate boundary, etc.

Once your data is positioned properly, mosaicing is automatic, data will automatically line up at the proper location and can easily be exported as new combined files in a seamless manner.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited June 2009
    Yes, you can easily crop collars in various ways using the Cropping options tab accessible via the Options dialog for layers from the Control Center. You can crop via lat/lon boundary, polygon, native coordinate boundary, etc.

Once your data is positioned properly, mosaicing is automatic, data will automatically line up at the proper location and can easily be exported as new combined files in a seamless manner.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Excellent. Can you also crop by manually dragging across the match line?

MD
    edited June 2009
    You can manually draw a polygon along your match lines to define the actual data boundary of a layer, then crop to that polygon. Use the Digitizer Tool to draw the polygon (area).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphonesealphone Global Mapper User Posts: 54Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    yes, cropping in GM is so easy.
    edited June 2009
    I like what I'm hearing. But just to be certain we're all on the same page, the crops I need to make on the match lines often run on a diagonal.

I could crop the collars off the jpgs easily with any picture editing program, but cropping on say a 60 degree angle across a match line is another story. That takes photo shop or something similar.

If Global Mapper can do this, it is definitely a plus.

MD
    edited June 2009
    Diagonals are fine. You can draw any arbitrary polygon and crop to that in Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com