Global Mapper v25.0

Bug in V11 with exporting points

Matt
Matt Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2009 in Bug Report
Not sure if you want us reporting bugs in v11, but can't seem to get this simple comma delimited text file to export as SHP or KMZ. I can get the file to import into GM no problem. But as soon as I choose to export, GM crashes before the export dialog box comes up. This is part of a much larger data set and I was able to successfully export the western hemisphere, but having problem with eastern. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, it works fine in V10.

http://www.gelib.com/temp/EastS.zip

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2009
    Matt,

Thanks for the bug report. I was able to reproduce the problem and fix it. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    Thanks that fixed it. By the way, I was able to easily import about 9,000,000 placemarks from the Global Geographic Names Database into Google Earth with the new KML Index function. I split it into 3x3 degree blocks. Each block can be loaded via the index created by Global Mapper.

http://www.gelib.com/maps/_NL/gnis.kml
  • Matt
    edited June 2009
    Mike, one more quick suggestion regarding the new KMZ Index feature in v11. Could you possibly add another option to create regions as part of the index. It wouldn't be the region pyramid like is used with SuperOverlays. It would just be a single-layer region that would automatically turn on/off each grid as the user is navigating around so they don't have to do it manually. Ideally, it would be an additional checkbox to set whether or not the regions are used for the Index and also the LOD value.
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    Matt,

I'm not quite sure how this would work. Do you have some sample KML?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    edited June 2009
    Matt,

I'm not quite sure how this would work. Do you have some sample KML?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Sure, just download attached, unzip and open Test.kml with Google Earth.

It should automatically take you to around lat 28 lon -16 where you'll see a bunch of islands. The islands at the west are one placemark tile, the islands on the east are another placemark tile. As you pan the view east and west and up and down, the placemark tiles will automatically turn on and off (as defined by the Region and Lod values in the Index file). It's all controlled by the Index file.

Here's the code in the index file.
    <Folder>
    	<name>Test</name>
    	<open>1</open>
    	<LookAt>
    		<longitude>-16.0488657398605</longitude>
    		<latitude>27.94162813747422</latitude>
    		<altitude>0</altitude>
    		<range>178073.7665580951</range>
    		<tilt>0</tilt>
    		<heading>0.1096610569666364</heading>
    		<altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>
    	</LookAt>
    	<NetworkLink>
    	<Region>
    		<LatLonAltBox>
    			<north>30</north>
    			<south>27</south>
    			<east>-15</east>
    			<west>-18</west>
    			<minAltitude>0</minAltitude>
    			<maxAltitude>0</maxAltitude>
    		</LatLonAltBox>
    		<Lod>
    			<minLodPixels>1024</minLodPixels>
    			<maxLodPixels>-1</maxLodPixels>
    			<minFadeExtent>0</minFadeExtent>
    			<maxFadeExtent>0</maxFadeExtent>
    		</Lod>
    	</Region>
    		<name>AU_55</name>
    		<Link>
    			<href>west_AU_55.KMZ</href>
    		</Link>
    	</NetworkLink>
    	<NetworkLink>
    	<Region>
    		<LatLonAltBox>
    			<north>30</north>
    			<south>27</south>
    			<east>-12</east>
    			<west>-14</west>
    			<minAltitude>0</minAltitude>
    			<maxAltitude>0</maxAltitude>
    		</LatLonAltBox>
    		<Lod>
    			<minLodPixels>1024</minLodPixels>
    			<maxLodPixels>-1</maxLodPixels>
    			<minFadeExtent>0</minFadeExtent>
    			<maxFadeExtent>0</maxFadeExtent>
    		</Lod>
    	</Region>
    		<name>AU_56</name>
    		<Link>
    			<href>west_AU_56.KMZ</href>
    		</Link>
    	</NetworkLink>
    </Folder>
    </kml>

• global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    Matt,

Ah, so basically instead of (or in addition to) the area bounding box, I would add a <NetworkLink> for each file that was exported so that it could automatically be turned on and off? I think I can add that pretty easily.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    I gave this a try and added NetworkLinks for each layer with the settings you used and it worked great! For now I have always enabled it by default (any reason you wouldn't want it on if doing an index?). I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    edited June 2009
    Thanks again Mike. It works great. Here is a sample.

http://www.gelib.com/maps/Counties/USCountyPolygons_nl.kml

This is US County Polygons. Consists of about 225 polygon tiles. This would have brought my computer to it's knees without the tiles. But with tiles, it displays very smoothly.

This also gives you an idea of what I'm talking about with being able to add colors. Without the colors, it would just a bunch of outlines of the counties. Boring. The colors make it so much better. In this example, I had to use some trickery to get the random colors in there. It was more little difficult because the colors had to be added to the source polygons, before they were exported as tiles. Otherwise a single polygons that crossed adjacent tiles would have multiple colors.

Hopefully you'll get around to adding the ability to add colors into GM sooner than later.

Matt