Global Mapper v25.0

Zoom detail levels

maggs
maggs Global Mapper User
edited May 2009 in Technical Support
I am loading an MP file that has lines, points and areas. I want to export Google map tiles. Everything works ok except that I want to control what points, lines and areas are viewable at different zoom levels. With the standard settings, as you zoom out from the Google tiles the data is too cluttered. Is there a way to exclude certain data so that it is only visible at maximum or specified zoom levels?

I have also noticed that during the export if I select the export bounds to data on screen, the exported data is much less an area than is viewable. If I zoom out to a large area and then export to Google tiles, all the lines/roads lose thier fat line attribute at all zoom levels even when zoomed into maximum. Is there a way around this issue?

Steve.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2009
    Steve,

If your features are classified with the proper built-in Global Mapper types (they will be automatically for the most part when importing MP files), you can use the 'Vector Map Detail' slider on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog to cause features to disappear at some zoom levels, depending on how far left you slide it. This will example cause residential streets to disappear when zoomed out, etc.

Just to clarify your export issue, when you do the export bounds set to what is on the screen, you aren't getting your results cropped to the screen bounds? And the fat road display isn't working even at the higher zoom levels during the Google Maps export? What Google Maps resolution (zoom level) are you using during export?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • maggs
    maggs Global Mapper User
    edited May 2009
    I'll play with the detail level setting to see if I can get an acceptable result.

When I set the export bounds to screen, it exports about 2/3 of the screen.

I have the export zoom set to 18 and 5 levels. Maybe I need to go higher to get the fat lines to work.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2009
    I'll have to give the crop to screen a try to see what the problem might be. I would expect you to get the exact screen bounds just as if you had typed them in manually.

I would also expect you to get fat lines for major highways around level 14 and the rest to pop on a few levels later, so at zoom 18 you should get all fat lines for road types. I'll check that out as well.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2009
    I took a look and found the issue with fat roads. It also would have affected the vector detail slider results. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with this fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

For the crop to screen, I always got at least what was on the screen and sometimes more. What is happening when you get more is that because the Google Maps are tile based, Global Mapper will always fill each tile that is exported, so when zoomed out you might see more data than when zoomed in and the tiles are smaller.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com