DEM creation from vector polyline shapefiles, problem

GregVDSGregVDS Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited May 2009 in Vector Data
Hello,

I'm using GM 10.02.

I imported two esri shapefiles containing each polylines. One came from a DxF file, the other one was populated by myself, digitizing contourlines from a scanned map. I first created a simple polyline shapefile with field Z for elevation, and put values in the fields.

When importing everything, I go into the control center, select every layer, go the options, and choose the correct field for elevation. Selecting all overlays, I right click, and ask for a grid from 3D data.

What I got is a nice elevation model grid on the area covered by the former Dxf vectors, and zeroed values for the area where I digitized contour lines.

I tried then to save both shapefiles into a third fused one, and went back into ArcGIS to complete the best I can the attribute table so as the contour lines I produced would have the same info as the dxf coming ones.

Still it does not work...

What did I do wrong.

Many thanks to help,

Greg

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2009
    Greg,

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Can you save a workspace file with your DXF and Shapefile loaded and then send that and your Shapefile to support@globalmapper.com (or post here) so that I can take a look?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • GregVDSGregVDS Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited May 2009
    Just sent the files.

Thanks,

Greg
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2009
    The problem was that somehow you got per-vertex elevations added to your lines, all with an elevation of 0. Those take priority over any attribute-based elevation. If you simply export your data to a new Shapefile and make sure not to check the box to generate 3D features that should work when you load it back in and generate an elevation grid from it (it did for me).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • GregVDSGregVDS Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited May 2009
    All is perfect, thank you!

Greg