PNGoverlay.cpp error message

tim53tim53 Global Mapper UserPosts: 68Trusted User
edited May 2009 in Technical Support
Hi:

I'm using Global Mapper to build very large mosaics of Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Context camera images. Each CTX image is on order several hundred MB to over a GB in size, and I typically mosaic 25-50 of them.

Recently, I've had problems adding images, and couldn't figure out why, as I have plenty of disk space. I'm running GM on a MacPro using Parallels 4.0 and Windows XP. My "Disk C" is about 130GB in size, but most of it is now taken up by dozens of C?\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\PNG###.tmp files that are as large as the original 8-bit CTX images. They don't get deleted when closing Global Mapper, so I'm not sure whether I'd cause problems with my mosaics if I delete them.

-Tim.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2009
    Tim,

Those TMP files are likely from Global Mapper extracting your PNG files to disk to allow reading them without using much memory. They should automatically be deleted unless Global Mapper crashes, but they were in the wrong directory to prevent automatic cleanup later in case of a crash.

I would go ahead and delete them. You might also consider creating a map catalog (File->Create New Map Catalog) for loading all of your images rather than loading them directly. The map catalog will automatically load and unload them as needed for display and export, which will reduce memory requirements.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tim53tim53 Global Mapper User Posts: 68Trusted User
    edited May 2009
    Thanks!

I'll try those things!

-Tim.
  • tim53tim53 Global Mapper User Posts: 68Trusted User
    edited May 2009
    Okay, that works, but zooms in or out take forever now. Is there any way to set the destination disk for the temp files?

-Tim.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2009
    Tim,

The temp files go to the system TEMP variable folder, so you can change that to move them. You might also just batch convert your PNG file to TIFF files. They read from disk without any temp files and typically render as fast or faster than PNG files.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com