make a contour map

rieeatmeerieeatmee Global Mapper UserPosts: 10
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
hi little ask

can GM make a topography contour map? Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2009
    Yes, you can generate contour lines at whatever interval that you need simply by loading elevation data for your area of interest, then using the File->Generate Contours menu command. You can also just load pre-generated contour data if you have that.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vijay_basker001@yahoo.comvijay_basker001@yahoo.com Global Mapper User Posts: 15
    edited April 2009
    Dear Mike,

We are having elevation data in xyz format.I want to generate contours with data.As per your told above,i have tried to generate contours in Global mapper.But in File menu it is("Generate Contours") not high lighting to generate contours.
    How can i generate them,please let me know.

Thanks,
    Vijay
    edited April 2009
    Vijay,

You first need to have gridded elevation data loaded. If you have XYZ points, you can right-click on that layer in the Control Center and select the option to create an elevation grid from the layer. Once that is done you will then be able to generate contours from it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vijay_basker001@yahoo.comvijay_basker001@yahoo.com Global Mapper User Posts: 15
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for your response,

But How Can I create elevation grid.I am unable to create it.

Could you tell me clearly.Is it possible to generate contour using this process.

Thanks,
    Vijay
    edited April 2009
    Vijay,

Once you have your XYZ vector data loaded, open the Control Center, right-click on that data layer, then select the option to generate an elevation grid.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • palmer617palmer617 Global Mapper User Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Hi, Mike

I met a similar problem. I cannot even find the "
    Generate Contours" in the "File" menu command. I try to get contour from a “.tif” file from “http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp”. Thanks a lot.
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Tencent\Users\53770638\QQ\WinTemp\RichOle\`]R1ALVPOD6}SFN2LB`BZ}2.jpg[/IMG]File in GM.jpg[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Tencent\Users\53770638\QQ\WinTemp\RichOle\`]R1ALVPOD6}SFN2LB`BZ}2.jpg[/IMG]
  • samknightsamknight BMG Staff Posts: 88
    edited August 2014
    Hi Palmer617,
    This thread was originally from 2009 and the interface has had some changed since then. In versions 14 & 15, the Contouring functions are found under the Analysis menu rather than File.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics