Vector Data Simplification

MattMatt Global Mapper UserPosts: 176Trusted User
edited April 2009 in Suggestion Box
Any plans on adding a function to simplify vector data? For example, lets say I have a 20 megabyte SHP file that has more detail in the vector data than I need. Instead I'd like to simplify it down so I can export is as a 5 megabyte SHP file with less detail.

There is a website I've used in the past to do this, but would be easier if built right into GM and the website has limitations on file size.

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2009
    Matt,

You can already do this by going through the Global Mapper Package export. It contains a Simplification tab allowing you to simplify the data. You can then load that back in and export the simplified results to a new Shapefile.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • MattMatt Global Mapper User Posts: 176Trusted User
    edited April 2009
    Great, thanks. Didn't even know that was there.

I just tried it, and it works great. A couple suggestions.

1) The slider that affects how much simplification to add appears to have a minor bug. When I let go of the slider, it always reverts to indicating "0", even though the actual value appears to be set.

2) The scale of the slider may be off. Instead of scale of 0-20 might be better with scale of 0-1 or 0-2 as really strange things start happening when the setting is above 1.

3) Might be a little more intuitive if the Simplification tab was included with the various vector output options screens.

Thanks again.

Matt
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2009
    Matt,

The problem you are seeing with the simplification slider resetting should be fixed in the latest build of Global Mapper. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

The slider scale is a bit strange as each input file to a Global Mapper Package may have a different projection so it is difficult to specify a simplification threshold in some simple means like a number of meters, so a sliding scale is used.

I am planning on adding Simplification support directly to the user interface through the Digitizer/Edit Tool so it can always be done there prior to export. I will try and improve the intuitiveness of the interface then. It is a bit of work for each export it is added to, so I think perhaps just adding it to the interface to be done in memory would be the easiest thing to do.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com