Support for getting maps from Tile Servers

kentmankentman Global Mapper UserPosts: 149Trusted User
edited June 2009 in Suggestion Box
Mike,

Would it be possible to add the ability to open OSM (or other) tiles directly in GM?:cool:

The amount of data now available through the web, excluding WMS & WFS servers is growing daily and it would be great to get this stuff - I know CadCorp SIS has a OSM plugin which allows the integration athough I have no idea of the work involved.

Kent

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2009
    Kent,

Global Mapper already supports loading data directly from OSM format XML files, so if you download the OSM data you should be able to load it right into Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kentmankentman Global Mapper User Posts: 149Trusted User
    edited April 2009
    Thanks Mike,

I was aware of this but thought the loading of OSM dynamically would be another option and allow access to a greater range of mapping. It would also removed the need for extracting defined areas of mapping and having to go back for more depending on the scale you're working at.

When you get the OSM vector information it looses all the formating whch has been applied at source.

The ability to do this would enhance GM as a product and attact more sales I'm sure.

Just a few thoughts - thanks for coming back.

Kent
    edited April 2009
    Kent,

If the OSM data is provided in some manner that I can automatically fetch over the web I agree that would be a good addition. I'll add an item to the todo list to look at this.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • czietzczietz Global Mapper User Posts: 41Trusted User
    edited April 2009
    Kent,

JFYI: There is a file called openstreetmap.zip in the Files area of the GM Yahoo Group (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/global_mapper/files/) containing a Perl script that will download OSM tiles and create the necessary world files for importing these into GM.

Christian

PS: I wrote this script some time ago, but I expect it still to work. If not, drop me a note.
    edited April 2009
    Christian,

Thanks for the link. From looking at the Perl it looks like the OSM data is available as a bunch of pre-rendered PNG files.Do you know if that data is provided via a WMS server somewhere? It seems like that would be an easy thing to do and would make the data accessible to lots of GIS applications without any further work.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited April 2009
    Mike,

iirc the OSM project stopped offering their rendered data via WMS because that caused a lot more server load than their simple tile-based approach. There may be unofficial WMS servers, but getting the PNG tiles directly from the OSM server is probably by far the more reliable way.

Christian
    edited April 2009
    Christian,

Ok thanks, I'll just add an item to the todo list to download the PNG tiles directly without WMS. It shouldn't be too difficult based on your Perl script.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited April 2009
    Mike,

there is an official documentation how the URLs of the tiles are composed at Slippy map tilenames - OpenStreetMap

Christian
    edited May 2009
    Christian/Kent,

I have completed support for directly pulling in rendered OpenStreetMap data via the File->Download Online Imagery menu command.

There is an alpha installer for v11 (it is called beta 1, but really consider it an alpha) at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper_setup_v1100_beta1.exe for you to try which contains this new functionality.

For those users really wanting to get an early start on v11, there is a preliminary purchase page for upgrades and new licenses at Global Mapper Download/Purchase v11 with PayPal.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • MattMatt Global Mapper User Posts: 176Trusted User
    edited May 2009
    Mike, the url to download v11 beta 1 doesn't seem to work. I tried guessing at correct URL without any luck.

Also, any announcements yet on new features in v11? Any early bird specials?

Matt
    edited May 2009
    Matt,

It looks like my copy and paste didn't work very well. Here is the correct URL: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper_setup_v1100_beta1.exe.

The v11 beta installer comes with a What's New of the currently added features, but there is much more to come. We are planning/hoping to add the following:

- map layout tool for presentation ready maps
    - ability to rotate area and line features
    - polygon/area cropping and merging capabilities
    - ability to export multi-band data to GeoTIFF and BIL formats
    - possible direct vector->PDF export

Sorry, there aren't any kind of early bird specials.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeardredbeard Global Mapper User Posts: 279Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    Mike,
    Do you have a link to the prelim purchase page for v11 mentioned a couple posts back? I looked on your site and it's just v10.

Thanks,
    Mike
    edited June 2009
    Mike,

Yeah, it's at Global Mapper Download/Purchase v11 with PayPal .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com