Global Mapper v25.0

View shed tool request

sealphone
sealphone Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2012 in Suggestion Box
In the view shed tool- fresnel zone specification, can you add the frequency in Megahertz(Mhz) so that we can also analyze the antenna installation for amateur frequencies.
Can you also consider the wattage of the transmitter.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2009
    You can just divide your frequency in MHz by 1000 to get it in GHz and use it in the view shed tool (i.e. 2.4MHz = 0.0024 GHz).

I'm not entirely sure how to apply a wattage value. Would that just be used to automatically determine a search radius or something?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    sealphone Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    Yes, I'm doing the division if I want to calculate using Mhz. Wattage of the transmitter affects the radius covered. I think the fresnel zone specification has a built in default or base value transmitter wattage.
    Thanks Mike
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    As far as I know the Fresnel zone calculation only depends on the frequency and distance and not the wattage usage (see Fresnel zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I think the wattage would primarily affect the range at which a transmitter would be detectable. Since you directly enter the radius for the view shed, this is already taken care of, just not by direct entry of wattage.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    sealphone Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    In the view shed tool, is it possible to plot the antenna tower with height and not just embedded/painted in the terrain?
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    No, the 3D viewer does not support displaying vector features with height, everything is just draped on the loaded terrain surface.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chuckyeager69
    chuckyeager69 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2012
    what i did was create either a square or circle footprint at the tower location with the correct width and gave it an elevation value (from sea level) and grided that freature to create a 3D tower "block" to show up in the 3D view as well as in the path profile tool.