Global Mapper v25.0

auto recognising os grid

LPlateAndy
LPlateAndy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2009 in Technical Support
Hi,

There seems to be a function built in to Global Mapper to recognise tiles such as HP60NW as an OSGB 10k grid tile. I assume this is to enable georeferencing with no tfw etc.

Anyway, is there some way to turn it off (or a yes/no to all option)? If i try to set up a map catalogue it asks me for every tile i look at despite there being tfw files present.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2009
    Andy,

Can you send me (to support@globalmapper.com) one of the files with the TFW file so that I can take a look? You might also try checking the box on the General tab of the Configuration dialog to prefer TFW files for positioning information.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • LPlateAndy
    LPlateAndy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    Hi Mike,

Thanks again - as usual you've solved it first time.... The prefer TFW has worked and i'm no longer prompted to confirm whether an os tile or not.

The data was Ordnance Survey's 1:10,000 raster which has a funny resolution of 0.635m which might be a part of the issue.

If you're interested, you can download a sample at:

1:10 000 Scale Raster: technical information and specifications for this mid-scale map

specifically:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/10kraster/sampledata/10kex_tiff.exe

Cheers

Andy
  • LPlateAndy
    edited March 2009
    Hi again....

Forgot to ask... as you appear to recognise the GB tiling conventions, is there a way to output OS data as tiles?

I'm actually planning to break down to 500 by 500 m chunks which ties in with the 1:1250 tiling convention - e.g. TQ1212SE

Thanks

Andy
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Andy,

You should be able to use the Gridding tab when exporting to generate tiles to the appropriate size and with the appropriate naming expected by OSGB.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • LPlateAndy
    edited March 2009
    Hi Mike,

I can manage a certain amount on replicating an OS Grid - provided i run one 100km grid square (e.g. TQ) at a time.

I'm stuck on the final bit though of how to create the NW,NE,SW,SE extension

Apologies if i'm missing an obvious tickbox somewhere....

Thanks

Andy
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Andy,

You are right, that isn't really some that could be automated in Global Mapper. You could probably write some sort of simple DOS script to auto-rename files to get those quadrants, or you could use the Global Mapper scripting language to do the entire export with a script and name them as desired that way.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • LPlateAndy
    edited March 2009
    Hi Mike,

OK - thought it was worth checking, it's surprising how many times asking has saved me days of fumbling around.

Thanks for confirming...

Cheers

Andy