Global Mapper v25.0

import excel file

Sakis
Sakis Global Mapper User
edited March 2009 in Technical Support
Well here something else
I try to import an Excel file to GM .This file that i try to import in the first colum has the ''lat'' in the second the ''long'' and in the third has the depth.
Can someone help me with this? The final purpose is to create an isobathy line and then project it in 3D
Please some help to the poor GIS user :(
thanx sakis

Comments

• STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    1. In Microsoft Excel - open the file - Save as - Choose filetype *.txt
    2. Open GlobalMapper - File - Open Generic ASCII file - choose the correct parameters lat/lon and points etc and then it should pop up!
  • Sakis
    Sakis Global Mapper User
    edited March 2009
    Snif snif :( I try the order but nothing happens.Please check your PM for more details :(:(
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    I`m posting the reply here, so others can also benefit from the "tutorial". I would like to say there are several ways to do this, this is one of them :)

1. Open the file in Microsoft Excel (or Openoffice Calc)
    2. Save as - choose *.csv file. Now, depending on which software you use you might have to adjust some settings.
    3. Open the yourfile.csv in Notepad or another software (attached image Step 1)
    4. Search/replace " and , so that between each lat, lon, height there is a SPACE instead of ",".
    5. Save the new file which looks like the one in attached image Step 2
    6. Fire up GlobalMapper - drag and drop the file within GlobalMapper
    7. You get some options, look at step 3 in this case for the correct settings for this file
    8. Choose correct coordinate system
    9. Voila - the files are loaded in GlobalMapper - verify for instance that the first point have the correct lat lon and attributes.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: I see I forgot to remove the first line in the file, thats why lat lon depth is shown :) Remove this by deleting the first line of the csv- file OR change the Columns to skip at start of file to 1
  • Sakis
    Sakis Global Mapper User
    edited March 2009
    Respect to all Norway GIS users but most of all THANK YOU MY FRIEND !!!!
    i own you many beers in a Greek island at the summer time
    Thank you again
    Sakis
    Greece