Global Mapper Pro

.sds or .mdf files?

gruvn
gruvn Global Mapper User
edited January 2013 in Elevation Data
Hey folks,
I've got an application (MDViewer) that can save 3d point data as either .sds or .mdf files. For the life of me, I cannot open them in GlobalMapper, and this is the first extension that i have ever encountered that GM hasn't worked with.

I tried opening the mdf as a "DMDF - Digital Map Data Format", but it is not visible.

I would really appreciate any insight.
Cheers!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2009
    I'm not familiar with either of those extensions. It is likely some sort of proprietary format used by that application, but if you email me some samples I can take a look. They may be simple text files that you could open using the File->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gruvn
    gruvn Global Mapper User
    edited February 2009
    Hey Mike,
    I tried the generic ascii option, but to no avail.

I just sent you 2 files - 1 sds and 1 mdf of the same data. Any insight you could offer would be appreciated!

Cheers!
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the files. I took a look and unfortunately they appear to be in some proprietary binary format, so without a format specification they would not be loadable into Global Mapper. I think that the DLL that you send is probably a plugin that the MDViewer people wrote to get their data into ESRI products. Can the MDViewer export to any other formats?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gruvn
    gruvn Global Mapper User
    edited February 2009
    Sadly, MDViewer does not export to any other format. And while I can view the data in ESRI, any manipulation causes ESRI to crash. Alas...

I appreciate your efforts.
  • CraigA
    CraigA Global Mapper User
    edited January 2013
    .mdf files are Manifold GIS format files (http://www.manifold.net/). I purchased this software some 10 years ago, but never used it as it was not easy to use (at the time I was a GIS novice). I was hoping I might be able to open some of the datasets that I purchased from Manifold with GM. Have there been any developments since this thread ended in 2009?

Thanks

Craig
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2013
    Craig,

There hasn't been any work to try and load MDF files from Manifold. Without a format specification from Manifold it is unlikely that would ever happen.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • CraigA
    CraigA Global Mapper User
    edited January 2013
    Hi Mike

OK, thanks.

Craig